Saturday, June 27, 2020

Rocky Arbor State Park


Yesterday was very rainy, but right at seven the sun came out, so Travalon and I went for a boat ride. Evening is my favorite time to go out on the boat! The sun is not beating down on us but is that golden, late evening color. Then it started to set.


I talked to Tiffy, and she said in Racine they had a double rainbow. She sent me a picture.


Remember my phalaenopsis orchid being held up by a model sailboat?


That was too precarious, so I spent this morning fighting with it to get it propped up on a stick. But it looks good.


Tiffy found this photo of her and me in Costa Maya, Mexico many years ago, so she sent it to me this morning. Don't we look young?


Then Travalon and I drove to Sauk. We went to the antique store but didn't find anything we wanted, so we went to the Mixing Bowl for lunch and then went to the dam for some birdwatching. We saw two white pelicans and a great blue heron.



Then we went to the Baraboo Antiques Mall, where Travalon found three bobble-heads and I found two rosaries. Our original plan was to hike at Mirror Lake, but they had a sign saying the park was full, and a ranger was turning people away. We had never seen that happen before! When we had passed Devil's Lake, we had seen a sign saying the parking lots were all full in the park, so for some reason everyone was at a state park today. I suggested Rocky Arbor, since it was nearby, and there is one trail, but it is so beautiful. It goes by a bog on one side that looks so prehistoric you expect to see a dinosaur step out of it, and gorgeous rock formations on the other side. Travalon took lots and lots of amazing pictures.
















I took this picture with my cell phone. Not bad, right?


Then we went back to Baraboo to check out some more antique stores, but I didn't find any more rosaries. We saw two swans in a pond, so I took a picture with Travalon's camera, and not until we got home and looked at the picture on the larger screen of my computer did we realize they are plastic!


We passed a pedestrian bridge going over the Baraboo River, so we stopped to walk over it, and Travalon took this photo of a couple of islands in the river.


Then we took the Merrimac Ferry on the way home, but they still won't let you get out of your car on it, so we didn't take any pictures.

I suppose this should be a separate blog post, but I didn't post yesterday, so today you get one that is twice as long. I wondered if there were such a thing as a Packers rosary when we went to the Packers Pro Shop, but they had never heard of one. Travalon said he figured you could get one on Etsy - and you can! Here is the one I ordered.


I also ordered a crowned crane from the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo.


And we picked up a couple of dirt-cheap stuffed animals at one of our pit stops on our last road trip. Check it out! They glow under black light!


And so does this rubber chicken we got at the same place!


And so does the weird cross I got at the antiques store on Stoughton Road!


And, since my boat rosary glows under black light and it only cost a dollar, I got some more so each of the Rosary Ladies could have her own glowing rosary.


Here are the two rosaries and the Blessed Sacrament chaplet I got at the antiques store on Stoughton Road.


Travalon went to Oconomowoc to visit his mother (the first time he was allowed to in months), and then he went to their antiques store and got me some rosaries. I recognize a couple of these as ones that were there last time we went, but I didn't get them at that time, the first and third from the left. The first one from the left is a little wooden one from Lourdes, and it has a really wonderful vibe.


These are the two rosaries I liberated from the Baraboo Antiques Mall today.


Wow! You made it all the way to the end of this post! Congratulations!

Famous Hat

No comments: