Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Road to Sturgeon Bay


Today Travalon and I headed for Door County. Our first stop was a hike on the boardwalk at Horicon Marsh, where we saw a number of black birds with white wings flying around. A fellow birdwatcher said they were black terns, and that he had not seen them there before. Travalon got a few shots of them in flight.



These are a couple of young Canada geese with their parent, and you can see that they almost have the grown-up look about them, but in a fuzzy way.


There were tons of these little swallows flying around. Travalon did get a shot of one sitting on the boardwalk.


And these little yellow flowers were poking out of the water all over the marsh.


I thought the fruits on these rushes looked like a Medieval weapon.


The frogs that sound like rubber bands were going crazy. I made a video - you can kind of hear them under the chirping of all the birds.


In the woodsy part of the trail, we passed this tree I had never noticed before that looks like it has a secret door.


In the part of the marsh where we had once seen tons of pelicans, we saw a number of egrets.


Then we went to Fox River Antique Mall in Appleton, which Travalon says is the largest in the state, and boy did they have rosaries! This is how many I bought, and I still left plenty behind. I also have my bag o' chaplets with me so I can pray some of the other, shorter ones I often do throughout the day.


Then we went to Lambeau Field to visit the Packers Pro Shop. Travalon wanted a bobble-head of Reggie White, but he had to settle for one of Paul Hornung that was half off. My purse had broken, and they had a very cool purse there, but it was super expensive, so I just got a beach tote for a totally reasonable price. Across the street was this cool mural.


We took a walk at Wequiock Falls County Park, which has a very interesting pattern in the rocks below the falls. This is looking down from the bridge over the falls.


Here are the actual falls.



Then we arrived in Sturgeon Bay and had dinner at a pizza place overlooking the bay. I prayed a rosary over Zoom with Jilly Moose, Anna Banana II, and OK Cap while Travalon went to take pictures of the sunset from the dock behind our hotel.



Tomorrow we will go up into the peninsula, so stay tuned for further adventures!

Famous Hat

No comments: