Wednesday, February 2, 2022

I Finished the (Virtual) Camino!!!


I only had a mile and a half left on my virtual Camino after putting in my mileage last night, so I knew that today I would finish.  This was 481 miles that I walked in just about three months, since I started on the 4th of November, and today is Candlemas, or if you prefer, Groundhog Day, and most importantly, International Ukulele Day. But today I didn't light a candle, watch a groundhog, or play the ukulele - I walked the last bit of the virtual Camino. One thing that makes me sad is that they say there is a hill on the Camino that, when you reach the crest, you can see down into the valley where the city of Santiago de Compostela lies. They say when people see the spires of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, they weep for joy. However, when I got to the spot in my virtual pilgrimage where I thought that would be, it said there was no street view available. Thwarted! Of course, it probably is far more emotional in real life, when a person has been walking about ten miles a day and not really doing anything else so she can focus totally on her pilgrimage, whereas I have been walking five miles a day around my neighborhood, around the campus, around my house, around the mall in between working and all the other quotidian activities I participate in, like washing the dishes or making coffee in the morning. It probably wouldn't have had the same emotional resonance to see the spires on my computer screen after a long day of work and a couple of laps around the block, but I would have at least liked to get the chance to see how it hit me. I'm an easy crier so I might have wept anyway. 


Famous Hat


No comments: