Friday, March 30, 2012

German-Themed Post

Today my blog post will have a German theme. My band was invited to play at a German Christmas Market next November, and there is a Facebook page about the festival done by a Greek guy. How this makes sense, I don’t know, but thanks to Banjo Player for providing that blog fodder. Then Toque McToque said I should blog about the words to a lullaby that her grandmother’s Swiss music box played. The lyrics are in German… Coincidence??? They also have to do with one of my favorite topics, rabbits. Here is the English translation (and remember, this is a children’s song):

Yesterday evening, I went out
I went to the forest
A little rabbit sat in a bush
He watched me with his little eyes
The little rabbit comes near to me
So he can tell me this.

Aren't you the hunter
Who hunts me down with his dogs?
When the greyhound catches me,
Hunter, have you caught me?
When I think of my fate,
My heart hurts right away!

Poor little rabbit, you are so pale!
Don't go into the peasant's grass,
Don't go into the peasant' s cabbages
Or else you'll pay for it with your skin,
You can spare yourself much misery and pain,
You can be a happy rabbit!

(From a blog called Mamalisa.com)

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Catherine Arnott Smith said...

Clearly this translation is a scam perpetrated by the greyhound fanciers -- everybody knows greyhounds aren't hunting dogs!

Toque McToque said...

Greyhounds were originally bred for deer and hare coursing, which is why they chase a mechanical bunny on the track.