Monday, March 19, 2012

Tropical St. Patrick's Day

People have already been asking me to blog about my St. Patrick’s Day, and I am happy to oblige. It was the most beautiful St. Patrick’s Day weather I can ever remember. Technically still winter, but pushing 80? I’ll take it! Tiffy, Jilly Moose, and I went up to the parade around the Square, grabbing lunch first at an Irish pub. It was packed, and they told us it would be a 45-minute wait, then a second later they said a 20-minute wait, then two seconds later they said they would seat us immediately. I had a yummy, if not particularly Irish, salad with roasted beets, red grapes, goat cheese, pistachio dressing, and grilled salad. This year I did not bring my camera to the parade, since my short movie from last year was pretty comprehensive. There were no motorized unicycles or guys in giant hamster wheels this year, but there were llamas and Bolivian folk dancers. The crowd seemed more subdued and didn’t go into beading frenzies. Even the protest band seemed more subdued this year. Then Tiffy and I went to the Arboretum to check out the skunk cabbages with Kathbert, Katzooks, and Richard Bonomo. Pew! They were very aromatic and already growing leaves because of the warm weather. In the evening Jilly Moose had a St. Patrick’s Day party, and Anna Banana II made an incredible chocolate Guinness cake. We sat out on the porch and ended up around a bonfire, which is not the usual way I have spent St. Patrick’s Day. This beautiful weather so early is a little spooky, but I am enjoying it!

And by the way, Happy St. Joseph's Day! Did you remember to wear red?

Famous Hat

No comments: