Monday, March 12, 2012

Hedgehog Funeral

Yesterday was beautiful, and I had hoped to bike, but my bike needed more than a simple fill-up of the tires so it will have to wait. I did go on a rosary walk with Jilly Moose and OK Cap, and then Rich, Kathbert, and I buried the mortal remains of my hedgehog Sylvia. She had been sitting in the freezer all this time and was perfectly preserved. Rich dug an exactly Sylvia-sized hole with his post hole digger, right under the rosebush in his garden, and then I put her in the hole to rest for eternity. She was perhaps not the most wonderful pet ever, but I wanted her to have a somewhat dignified burial. We didn’t know of any prayers to say over the grave of a hedgehog so we just hoped maybe she was in hedgehog heaven. Rich said maybe when my time comes, she will pop up to greet me. Of course, she never really popped up to greet me in life. Mostly she hissed at me. Rest in peace, Sylvia – I’ll never hear you hiss again in this life.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

Awww. Rest in peace Sylvia. It was very appropriate to bury her right under a rose bush, both are prickly

Famous Hat said...

I hadn't even thought of that, but you are right.