Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Saturday in Racine

Saturday I drove to Tiffy’s house, and we went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch and $3 margaritas. Then we spent the whole afternoon in her pool. At first we were all alone, but then we were joined by two spry 80-somethings, and Tiffy wondered if it was swimming every day that kept them so spry. I see no reason not to test this theory out in our own lives! As the afternoon gave way to evening, the pool filled up with children, so we decided to hit downtown Racine and get dinner at a restaurant on the lake. After dinner we went out to the Friki Tiki Bar and drank fancy drinks while gazing out at the lake. A rowdy bachelorette party that had been at the next table in the restaurant also settled at the next table at the bar. At another table, three women were laughing and having a good time when they suddenly screamed and jumped out of their chairs. We all looked over and saw a spider dangling from the umbrella over their table. A waiter came and quickly folded up the umbrella and sat it at the next table over, where nobody was sitting at the time, but some unsuspecting people soon sat there. They never gave any indication of seeing the spider, but that night I had strange dreams about spiders crawling on me.

A family I know lost their only child, a college student, to drowning this past week, so keep them in your prayers. I can tell it’s messing with my head because last night at the pool I kept watching all the kids nervously for signs any of them might be drowning as I swam with A-Joz. Then A-Joz and I got out of the pool, but I felt reluctant to leave with so many kids around who could potentially drown, so we sat around talking. Eventually the kids were all ushered home, but then a guy started swimming laps, and I couldn’t breathe easy until he finished. Every time we could no longer hear him swimming, I would say, “Is he still there?” since it was dark by then, and A-Joz would say, “I think he’s just resting by the side of the pool. Yes, there he is.” He must have thought I was nuts!

Famous Hat

No comments: