Monday, August 19, 2013

Union Terrace Adventures

I have decided that, instead of writing one long blog post on Monday, I’ll break up my weekend into several blog posts. Today I’ll blog about my adventures yesterday, since Travalon really wanted me to mention the interesting characters at the Union Terrace.

Sunday started out with me oversleeping and realizing I couldn’t get to Mass before it started. No problem, I would walk to the church near my house… but it is a lot further away than it seems, plus it is up a very long, steep hill, so Mass had already begun by the time I arrived. Then Travalon wanted to go on a long walk, but I’d already spent an hour just walking to and from church. We decided to go to Indian Lake County Park, where we hiked around the lake with Rodney, who was loving it. Then we went to the Union Terrace, where everyone commented on how cute Rodney was, and little kids kept coming over to ask if they could pet him. One little boy stood in front of us shyly and asked, “Is that your dog?” so I said, “You can pet him – he’s friendly.” He replied, “There’s a sign here that says no dogs allowed.” This is true for the upper part of the Union Terrace, but dogs are allowed down by the water, which is where we were. When I explained this to the little boy, his dad got very embarrassed and said, “Where did you see the sign?” so the boy pointed at the upper part of the Terrace. Travalon had just gotten done saying I needed to blog about that when a very odd guy with long, dirty hair and food on his shirt and (oddest of all) a rosary around his neck stopped by to comment on Rodney. He seemed stoned or something. A few minutes later he came back to tell us there was a guy walking around in just his underwear, and not only that, but it was a guy who worked at the Union! Travalon and I never did see the alleged underwear guy, so we wonder if it was all a figment of Stoner Guy’s imagination. Travalon did tell him that he had seen the men’s rowing team wearing women’s bikinis a couple of weeks ago at practice, which blew what was left of Stoner Guy’s mind. “Whoa!” he said. “That’s VERY disturbing! You mean like Speedos?” Later Travalon and I walked down State Street, where we heard people calling Rodney a cute little dog in Spanish, and I assume that’s what they were also saying in what might have been Mandarin Chinese. Rodney – adorable in any language!

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Travalon said...

We also stopped at a nice little bar on highway 12 between Middleton and Sauk City called The Missouri Tavern and sat outside with Rodney for a drink. It was kind of a biker hangout, but much nicer inside than I expected. I was always curious about this place. Rodney is always a big hit with people passing by walking down State Street and at the Union Terrace, perfect dog walking places on a summer weekend day.