Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Serbian Fest

Sunday morning I drove from Tiffy’s house to Travalon’s house in time to go to 10:45 Mass at St. Anthony on the Lake with him. Then we went out to lunch with his mother before hitting Serbian Fest. This was at St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, a truly beautiful church that smells wonderful too, because of all the incense. It was filled with icons and mosaics of various saints, but I can’t read their alphabet very well – the only one I could make out was Saint Michael the Archangel. The festival itself was outside and in the school gym. There were at least three bands performing at the same time on different stages; one band had men playing all sorts of instruments, including things that looked like tiny mandolins. People were grilling lamb and pork, which smelled wonderful, and there were all sorts of delicious dishes and desserts made with phyllo dough. There was a fair midway complete with rides and carnival games, and Travalon won me a little pig by squirting water at a target. The pig looks like it is dancing a la John Travolta, so I am calling it Disco Pig while I think of a better appellation. I took a photo of Disco Pig and will try to post it soon.

Famous Hat

No comments: