Thursday, November 7, 2013

Charlie Is Dragging



Last night Charlie the Rabbit was being very exploratory, going into areas of my condo (like the bathroom) where he normally never ventures. This was even more surprising because he was having trouble walking. He was dragging his right hind leg as if it didn’t work at all anymore. Today I mentioned it to a coworker who has a very old cat, and she said sometimes when animals know the end is near, they search for a quiet spot to die. This morning Charlie seemed fine, or what passes for fine with him these days, but I do wonder if he senses that the end is near. Maybe he can’t find a really satisfactory spot to die in my condo, since it is so small and doesn’t have a lot of nooks and crannies. Or maybe he is nowhere near dying, and he just felt like exploring for some reason last night, even though his back leg wasn’t working. I would think maybe he’d had a stroke, except that his front right leg seemed to be working just fine. As Travalon noted, he has been hopping sideways for a while now, but last night he was really dragging himself around. Every time I think, “Man, he’s really in rough shape now,” he gets a little worse. It’s sad, but he’s had a long, happy bunny life. I suppose it may not be too long now before he crosses that rainbow bridge. 

Famous Hat

No comments: