Monday, November 18, 2013

Roller Derby Girl



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Friday I went to a talk on the mathematical evidence for God’s existence, then Richard Bonomo and I met Catzooks and her boyfriend at Granite City for some soup. Saturday I had a busy day: I met Jilly Moose and OK Cap for coffee, then Hardingfele and I worked out, and then I went to the funeral of a friend of a friend. (I never met him.) Afterwards my friend said she didn’t want to go home, so four of us dropped in on Rich and Kathbert. Rich showed us all his broken glasses, which for some reason he keeps around the house instead of throwing them away. Then he left for a birthday party at a bar, so I went home and got to bed at a reasonable time for once.

The next morning Rich told me the bar was too crowded, they weren’t letting people in, so he didn’t get to go to the birthday party. In the afternoon Travalon came up to Madtown, and we watched the first half of the Packer game at the Free House, then for the second half we went to our usual spot at Middleton Sports Bowl, but that didn’t improve the Packers’ luck at all. I said I take the long view, and the Packers are like stocks: they may sink in the short term, but eventually they will pick back up. Then we went to Rich’s house and gave Kathbert a very late birthday present of a T-shirt that says “Roller Derby Girl” because whenever she is busy, she says she has roller derby practice. She liked the shirt and modeled it for us, but when Rich took a picture of her, since she had her back to the camera (because the words were on the back of the T-shirt), the facial recognition square formed around her derriere. Digital cameras – they think they’re so smart. Catzooks said she couldn’t make it Sunday evening, and Luxuli and her husband both told Rich they couldn’t make it, so when there was a knock on the door, we wondered who it was. Miss Heartsong! She told us a great story about walking by a cosmetics counter, and all the people behind it said she needed their products because she looked at least eight years younger than her current age. I said I’d like to walk by that cosmetics counter, but what if they said I look ten years older than I am? Miss Heartsong told them they shouldn’t mention age in their spiel because at best it will make the person realize she doesn’t need their products (like in her case) and at worst it will give the intended victim a complex. So it’s totally lose-lose for them.

Famous Hat

No comments: