Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Kids These Days...



Last night Travalon and I had dinner at the Fountain, then he accompanied me to my hour of Adoration. I offered him the use of a rosary and pointed out all the reading material available in the chapel, but he preferred to meditate silently. Then he left to attend a basketball game, so I took the bus home. Even at the supposedly off-peak hour of 1915 (that’s military time), the bus was still so crowded that I wondered if it were bordering on unsafe. They are always trying to encourage bus ridership, but I wonder: where would they put any more riders?

Speaking of the bus, yesterday I was waiting for it when a twenty-something woman came along and stood in front of me as if I weren’t there. I was a little annoyed, since there seems to be an unwritten rule that the person who is first at the bus stop is first in line. When the bus came, he stopped a little beyond her, so I took the opportunity to hop on first. Then this morning another twenty-something woman nearly knocked me out of the way to stand in front of me. I was sorely tempted to say something but wasn’t sure how to phrase it and not use a word that rhymes with “itch.” Instead, I waited until A-Joz and another neighbor of mine arrived at the bus stop, and then I told them sotto voce about what had happened, but not so sotto that Ms. Itch couldn’t hear it. I guess that’s my passive aggressive side. I did admit to A-Joz that maybe I was just as clueless at that age, but she disagreed. Are the Millennials worse than we were? Every generation bemoans the lack of civility of the generation following, but maybe it’s just a function of age, and all twenty-somethings in every time period are/were rude idiots. That’s what I think, anyway. Feel free to agree or disagree in the comments.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

I dont know. I generally stand first but I guess I dont consider it a big deal if someone gets on in front of me. The consumptive guy who hacks without covering his mouth on the bus is a far worse thing to deal with

Travalon said...

There are some very good individuals, but this generation of young people just seems to be more spoiled, impatient, and self-centered than past ones. Many lack manners and common courtesy. Some of that attitude may come from neglectful parenting and being caught up in new technologies where actual human contact is secondary, its really hard to say exactly where it comes from.