Monday, August 31, 2015

Last Evening on the Union Terrace (until June)


Friday evening I was once again planning to meet the Rosary Ladies for dinner, this time at Brasserie V, but somehow Luxuli couldn’t find us there. Jilly Moose, OK Cap, and I had dinner there, then we went to the Monona Terrace to see a salsa band. I had already checked the website and knew the band would be playing inside, not on the roof, but when we got there, we found a sign saying the concert had been moved to the Expo Center. Adding insult to injury, we passed the grace period by a couple of minutes and had to pay for parking. We did get to the Expo Center and danced to the salsa band, so the evening wasn’t a complete disaster. We did get rained on a lot.

Saturday morning Travalon showed me another example of his phone going nuts: the night before it had sent five text messages to a friend of his that were all emojis, those little emoticons like smiley faces, but these were mostly a staring face. I laughed for ten minutes straight, thinking of what his friend’s reaction must have been. We took Rodney canoeing with us (see the photo on my previous post) and went back into Cherokee Marsh, but we couldn’t go too far because my band had a gig at the Middleton Good Neighbor Festival. Luxuli, Jilly Moose, and OK Cap came to hear me, then we all went to dinner at the Craftsman Taphouse. We ended the evening fairly early, so Travalon and I went home and watched Part Three of the Ken Burns documentary on jazz. It was so interesting, and I love the footage from the 1920’s.

Yesterday Travalon and I took Rodney out in the boat for the first time, and he seemed to love it even more than canoeing. The Union Terrace will be shut down for repairs from tomorrow until next June, so the three of us went there for one last ear of corn and glass of beer as we (humans) sat on those iconic chairs, gazing out at the water. Prairie Man joined us and we had great conversation until the sun was setting, then we headed to Rich’s house for more conversation and some vegetables, like the spaghetti squash Kathbert’s cousin had given her. The plants at Rich’s house look very happy, even though I totally forgot to look in on them while he was on Isle Royale. So it was another great summer weekend, with a lot of time on the water. Next weekend will be a long one – hopefully I get to spend at least some of it boating and/or canoeing with Rodney and Travalon!

Famous Hat

No comments: