Friday, May 13, 2016

Anniversary Celebration


Sorry for my silence the last few days. Tuesday evening Travalon and I went to L’Etoile, which is the fanciest restaurant in town, as far as I know. I had a seven-course meal, and there were all these micro-courses as well, like an amuse-bouche that was like a spoonful of cream of asparagus soup, a tiny cheese pastry, and chocolate malt balls after dinner. It was so amazing! And the view of the Capitol was spectacular. Travalon really liked his steak and his chocolate tart as well. The waiters were very attentive and explained each course. I will try to list them: tuna, foi gras, softshell crab, spring salad with rabbit, steak with crispy potato, cheese with candied rhubarb, and Nutella ice cream. Of course, each course was like two bites, but afterwards I was quite full. You could also get a wine pairing, but that sounded like way too much wine.

Wednesday I took the day off of work and slept in, then Travalon and I went to De Forest for brunch and pie, and then we took a vigorous hike with Rodney in Governor Nelson State Park. Rich helped us launch our boat from Governor Nelson, and Travalon and I boated across the lake and back into the marsh. After my band practice we went to Pizza Brutta, then we came home and watched our wedding DVD. What a great way to spend our anniversary!

Last night I didn’t blog because I went to an Early Music Festival fundraiser with tons of food and the music of John Dowland. The theme this year is Shakespeare and his times, so the food was Elizabethan England fare. I wasn’t sure how I would enter gooseberry fool into my diet app, but wouldn’t you know that not only was it in there, there were several brands to choose from. It was even more calories than our extravagant meal on Tuesday night, so Travalon and I went swimming to burn off those calories. Even “leisurely swimming” (that’s how it’s listed on the app) burns quite a few calories if you do it for an hour.

I have never been particularly superstitious about Friday the Thirteenth, but this morning I woke up early fretting over a possible social slight. It was a good thing, too, because our downstairs neighbor fell, and she has to be well over eighty. Travalon and I heard her calling for help, so we rushed to help her. The ambulance came for her, and now she is in the hospital and can accept visitors, so I hope to head over there sometime tomorrow, although my band has a gig and then Travalon and I are going to the Bunny Berigan Festival, so scheduling will be mighty interesting. Maybe in the morning…

Famous Hat

No comments: