Monday, January 4, 2021

Laid Back Birthday in a Magical Winter World

 

Yesterday I had a quiet birthday, which was a lovely change of pace. (Next year is a birthday that ends in zero, and the pandemic should be under control, so I imagine I'll have to have a huge party.) Only Rich was at brunch, but Travalon and I did run into Cecil Markovitch when we went out to Sauk to look at eagles. We only saw one immature one. We went to the antiques store, and I did buy some stuff:


Two sweet little rosaries, the red one missing a bead in the starting part and the pink one with a four-way cross instead of a crucifix. Two miraculous medals and a St. Anne's medal. And a little wooden box with milagros of a heart, four hands, and four chalices on it. Here is a close-up of the box:


And here is a close-up of the medals, which are now in the box:


Someday I will figure out what to do with all these medals. After the antiques store, we came home and watched the Packers beat the Bears. They did that thing they always do, where they stall in the third quarter, so the offense can't get any points, and the defense can't stop the other team, so the Bears looked like they might catch up and even beat them. But then the Pack came roaring back and trounced them in the fourth quarter. Now they are #1 seed, so they get a bye next week and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. What a great birthday present! Then after the game, Travalon took me through the Fantasy of Lights for their last night. Here is a better picture of that kayaking elf:


And here is a peacock. This photo turned out way better than the photo I took of it with the good camera.


Today was back to work. Like yesterday, there was freezing fog, which meant there was lots of beautiful hoarfrost on all the trees. I took some photos.





Those were all with my cellphone. Travalon took some with his cellphone too.







And just to be goofy, he also texted me this photo he took of Fred Flinstone on his computer. As you can see, Fred also looks like he is in a winter landscape. Just to be goofy myself, I am putting this picture on my blog post. I hope this isn't a copyright violation or anything...



Just like how I thought during COVID Christmas I would be safe from cookies, but then my neighbor and coworkers kept dropping them off, this year I thought that with no party, I would not have to deal with birthday cake. Instead, both Rich and my neighbor made cakes for me, and they are even the same kind - black magic! My neighbor did make a killer coffee frosting that is just amazing - she said she used partially evaporated coffee instead of milk. Now there is a ton of birthday cake in my house, and just Travalon and me to eat it. I have stuck a bunch of it in the freezer for later in the month, when things are less festive and more dreary, and I will desperately need chocolate cake with coffee frosting.

Tune in tomorrow, when I will post pictures from both our good cameras of the eagle in Sauk, the bluffs covered in hoarfrost, and possibly better photos of the trees here in our neighborhood as well.

Happy birthday to Ma Hat, and thanks to Jilly Moose for the kalanchoe and Christmas cactus, and to OK Cap for the mug and the ladybug ornament.


Famous Hat


No comments: