Saturday, January 9, 2021

Rosary Walk in Sun Prairie

 

Today Travalon and I met Cali and Jilly Moose at the coffeehouse in Sun Prairie, then Travalon went to watch the Colts play the Bills while we ladies took a brisk rosary walk. Then we joined him and had a little lunch, and what I saw of the game was excellent - the Colts played hard and went down fighting. I like them because the former Badger running back Jonathan Taylor plays for them, but it does seem like this is the Bills' year, so I was also happy with them advancing. When Travalon and I got home, we took a walk to see the sunset, and my neighbor joined us. She said I said three really funny things: I said it was a "false positive" when we hear a train whistle from the track that doesn't meet up with "our" train track; I said a friend who might tattle on me could be a "security breach"; and when another neighbor hailed us and my neighbor said she was way behind on her steps, I said, "I got all mine already - these are pity steps!" No idea why I was so quotable today. When I came inside, Travalon was watching the Seahawks lose to the Rams, which is sad because I like Russell Wilson (who also used to be a Badger), plus the Packers might have to play the Rams next week, and they sacked Wilson eight times!!! 

I don't know what to think about the Capitol police and their behavior on Wednesday anymore. Some people were saying they were in on the riot and just letting the rioters in, which seems believable in that it turns out a lot of the rioters were police and firefighters from other cities. (So maybe my instinct that the "Thin Blue Line" flag is racist is not totally off-base...) But other people were saying the plan to have no backup for them came from much higher up, so maybe they were so nice to the rioters because they were so scared of them, and I can sympathize with that. Considering that one was killed and a number of others were injured (including the one in the harrowing video where the rioters crush him and he is screaming in pain), this seems like a distinct possibility. Now as they are discovering the identities of the rioters, it seems they are not so much the people some call "white trash," uneducated poor people from rural areas, but instead wealthy white people with good jobs like CEOs, doctors, and (very disturbingly) members of state legislatures. Another question is what was motivating them: was it white supremacy, or was it a desire to install a theocracy? Considering the way evangelicals (and, sadly, some right-wing Catholics) are so racist online, I'm going to say maybe it's the same thing...?


Famous Hat


No comments: