Sunday, January 17, 2021

Non-Calypso Mass

 

It was mostly a great football weekend. The Packers had an amazing game, other than that thing they always do where they stall in the third quarter and it seemed like the Rams would catch up to them and even pull ahead. But then, as always, the Pack came back to life in the fourth quarter. Unfortunately they are going to have to play Brady and the Buccaneers next weekend, but it's easier to cheer that those guys go down than the Saints, who are my second favorite team. That was a fairly close game too, and the two oldest quarterbacks ever. Sad to think things are ending for Drew Brees this way, but maybe he could play another season - I'm assuming Brady will, and he's even older. And I'm so happy for the Browns, because while they did not beat Kansas City (that would have been miraculous), they only lost by five, so it wasn't the ugly blowout I'd been expecting. Very respectable for a team that just a few seasons ago didn't even win a single game!

Yesterday Travalon and I just hung around Waunakee, and today we went to Sauk, but we didn't see any eagles. I feel like I spent most of the day on Zoom, although (being an idiot) I had to attend the "indoguration" of Major Biden after the fact on YouTube because 3 pm Eastern time is 2 pm my time, so when I went to get into the Zoom meeting at 3 pm my time, it was already over. Lots of cute shelter pups (and kits), and footage of the first time Major met his human Joe. Then I had Irish class, which was supposed to end at 5, but it ran almost a half hour over, so I figured the Zoom meeting with my parents and uncles would be done. But when I came into it, Ma Hat and my aunt and uncle from Colorado were still talking, and then my uncle from Chicago logged in just after I did. He and I seem to have been the only two in the family to have been to Europe, and we have both been there multiple times, so sometimes we reminisce about our adventures. He is really missing giving tours at the Hemingway House, just like I am missing playing with my band. I told them all about my goofy YouTube channel, with videos that have mostly all been shared on this blog. Remember the ones where my Famous Hat sang and played the tiny mandolin? I'll bet Rich doesn't exactly miss being a puppeteer! Fortunately for him, I haven't written any silly songs lately for my hat to sing. My uncle in Colorado says he has a YouTube Channel too, so I checked it out, but it's videos for his Statistics students, so probably a lot more useful than videos of a singing hat. I have never made a useful video - even my "how to fix a washing machine" video is a joke. Maybe my New Year's resolution for 2021 should be to produce a truly useful video.

This morning Travalon and I went to Mass at a nearby parish to avoid downtown, since there was supposed to be a Black Lives Matter protest at 11 and a "Stop the Steal" protest at noon, so we thought things could get ugly. (Rich tells me it was very quiet downtown.) Going to another parish may have been a mistake, because Travalon liked how the Mass was only 45 minutes instead of an hour, and there was no Latin. A couple of weeks ago he asked me what the priest was saying when he sounds like he's saying, "Ellipso and calypso," and I couldn't think what he meant, but trust Rich to know. He was thinking of the part where the priest holds up the chalice and says, "Per ipsum and cum ipsum et in ipsum." At the parish we went to today, the priest just says, "Through him and with him and in him," so it was a non-calypso Mass, which is just how Travalon likes it.


Famous Hat



No comments: