Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Losing My Halo

 

Hopefully my readers have seen the video of the lawyer who accidentally had a kitten filter on his Zoom settings. It's just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. He's trying to appear at a deposition, and he says, "I'm here live. I'm not a cat," and after a long pause, the judge says, "I can see that." And the eyes on this filter! Oh my goodness! If you haven't seen it, here it is:


That inspired me to try different filters at Night Prayer tonight, and the one that seemed most fitting put a halo above my head. Everyone loved it, and as we chatted afterwards, the Dairyman's Daughter wondered if it would also put one above her cat's head, but it didn't. So I got Travalon in the frame to see if we would both have halos, but wouldn't you know that the halo vanished off my head and appeared over his head! Seems fitting. I was laughing so hard about that, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw Ma Hat had sent me a Chinese New Year e-card (I mean, we're not Chinese, and I wouldn't have even thought she would know what Chinese New Year was), and also when I tried to put an emoji for "thinking" on MyFace, and it gave me this weird one with the eyebrows going in opposite directions that looked more like some kind of Groucho Marx expression.

Another amazing video that has gone viral is this one of an aerobics teacher leading a video workout while behind her the coup is going on in Myanmar:



I think the reason this has struck such a chord with people is the juxtaposition of the quotidian activity of doing aerobics in a lime green and black outfit (and let's face it, she's got the moves) with the extraordinary happenings of a junta going on behind her. Because if it could happen to someone else doing her morning workout, why couldn't it happen here? In a delicious piece of irony, I've been told the song she's dancing to is basically saying "F--k the Military Cops" in Indonesian, which seems like an appropriate response to a military coup. Maybe the revolution won't be televised, but maybe it will have an awesome beat we can all dance to.


Famous Hat


No comments: