Friday, February 26, 2021

The Rosary Ladies Go to Holy Hill

 

This morning the Rosary Ladies gathered at my house, then we stopped for coffee before heading to Holy Hill. We got there just a tiny bit late for 11 am Mass, although we went to the wrong chapel so that slowed us down more. Then we went to the gift shop - always dangerous. I wasn't going to get any rosaries unless they glowed under blacklight, and wouldn't you know they had two, as well as two things I've wanted for a while: a T-shirt with a St. Benedict medal on it, and a necklace with a four-way cross on it. There was an exhibit on the Shroud of Turin, with a replica:


This is the part with his face, if you look closely, but what really got my attention was that the lash marks weren't just on his back but all the way down the backs of his legs. There's a Lenten reflection for you! In the same room, there was this beautiful icon:


Then we went to the chapel with the votive candles, and I lit one for Travalon's dad.


Then Anna Banana II, Jilly Moose, and I pooled our cash to light one for Mombert's soul.

It was a beautiful day out, but up on the hill it was too windy to do the outdoor Stations of the Cross, so we went to Revere's in Delafield for lunch (fish, of course - it's Friday), and then we walked around downtown Delafield and poked around in some of the high-end shops. I saw a mint green T-shirt of the Ice Age Trail that's just like the one Travalon has in dark blue, but they didn't have it in my size. Darn! After we got back to Madison, Anna Banana II, Jilly Moose, and I took a walk around my neighborhood. Anna Banana II had made some delicious banana oat chocolate chip bread, so she gave me some pieces to take home and share with Travalon.

Here are photos of the two rosaries I got, glowing under blacklight. (I'll try to take a picture of the T-shirt and the necklace at some point, maybe while I'm wearing both of them.) This rosary was less than $2, and the green parts not only glow under the blacklight, but they keep glowing, so they are technically glow-in-the-dark. The orange and pink parts only glow under the blacklight. 


This rosary attracted my attention because the little roses on the beads look just like a ring I had as a little girl. Then as I looked at it more closely, I realized it was also a glow-in-the-dark rosary, so it would also light up under the blacklight. And it keeps glowing for a very long time!


Bonus picture: some pens that glow under blacklight! The top one is a maze pen that was my prize for finding enough secret punches in the Treinen Farm corn maze.


Unlike me, Travalon didn't have the day off of work, and he thought it was going to be almost as harrowing as yesterday because they were having tuna sandwiches for lunch at the Club. Then he said it was in a patty and wasn't nearly as bad as he had been fearing. So that's two days in a row that his worst fears didn't come to pass!


Famous Hat


2 comments:

Travalon said...

Made it through two challenging ones serving meals at work- now the big test will be on Monday when the menu will be pigs knuckles and sauerkraut with a side of pickled herring. I may not get to sleep Sunday night if I think about it too much. The next 35 hours I am counting down until this torture session will go by too fast.

* Just kidding here, I believe the menu is good old chicken sandwiches with fries !

Famous Hat said...

Too bad I couldn't have gotten the Ice Age Trail T-shirt: we could have been matchy but not matchy-matchy!