Monday, February 15, 2021

Rosary Secrets

 

Tonight I was looking at my rosaries under blacklight again, and I made some intriguing discoveries. For example, a rosary I made years ago at a session at my church has a glow-in-the-dark crucifix! I just thought it was a regular cheap plastic one. Even more intriguing, one of the little clear glass rosaries I got at an antiques shop glows blue under black light... but only the Hail Mary beads. The Our Father beads, which look identical under regular light, do not. It seems like the person who made this rosary (because it does look homemade) must have been aware of the difference in the beads, because it would be quite a coincidence if they had been using beads mixed together and randomly grabbed ones that didn't light up for the Our Father beads. This difference even continues with the starting beads: the three Hail Mary beads glow blue under blacklight, but the Our Father and Glory Be one do not. Whenever I discover something so fascinating about an antique rosary, I always wonder about the person who created it. Did they have a blacklight? Why else would they have created it in this configuration? And if they are looking down from Heaven, are they pleased that I discovered this secret about their rosary? I would think they would be very pleased that someone has come along who can finally appreciate all the work they put into it.


Famous Hat


No comments: