Wednesday, February 3, 2021

What White Privilege Looks Like

 

I forgot to mention on yesterday's post that Liliana's had a special Groundhog Day dinner, so Travalon picked it up for me. (He had shrimp and grits and some chicken wings himself.) If you are familiar with the movie of the same name, every day when the protagonist wakes up, it's Groundhog Day again, so the gimmick with the dinner was that every course was noodles and cream. That was a lot of pasta, so I ate the main course (spicy shrimp and pasta) and saved the opening course (fettuccine alfredo) for lunch today. I ate a bite of the dessert, which was like apple crisp but with noodles, and then I was going to eat the rest of it as my dessert for lunch today, but I was too full after the other pasta. Then for dinner tonight Travalon brought home some amazing leftover steak for tacos from his job, so I was too full to eat the dessert after all that. I'm sure it will still be fine tomorrow. The tiny bit I had last night was delicious.

For some reason today I thought about Ladies' Home Journal, which Ma Hat got when I was a kid, and I used to read it with great interest. I hadn't thought of it in years, not being a housewife, but I looked it up and saw it stopped publishing in 2014. There were seven magazines aimed at housewives back in the day, and now only three of them are still around, probably because most women are not housewives anymore. I did read an article noting how none of them received awards for journalism, and maybe they weren't hard-hitting journalism, but I'm thinking there's some sexism there too. It hasn't escaped my notice that literature aimed at men is often critically acclaimed, while literature aimed at women is not considered "serious" literature. Is that so? Are women less serious than men? Are our concerns and interests less serious? Or are the critics, who are mostly men, maybe just a itty bitty bit of a tad biased?

On a related note, some people think there is no such thing as white privilege, but I have certainly seen it with the way the Capitol rioters are being treated. It looks like when you complain about jail food and insist you need organic food, and they comply!! It looks like when you've been charged with trespassing and disorderly conduct, but you say you can't go to jail because you have a prepaid vacation to Mexico coming up... and they let you go!! It looks like when you confront peaceful protesters and get in their faces and threaten them with guns... and they are the ones charged with disorderly conduct, not you. Can you imagine a black person saying they had to have soul food in jail and not getting smacked around? (I've heard stories that people of color who can't eat pork for religious reasons are often told in prison that they can have pork or nothing, but if someone has proof that this is not true, I'm willing to listen.) Can you imagine a black person saying they can't go to jail because they have a prepaid vacation to Jamaica? Can you imagine black people peacefully protesting for racial justice and having white people pull guns on them, and the white people being the ones in trouble? If you can, you must be in another country.


Famous Hat



No comments: