Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Boating in the Marsh

 

I took this morning off of work, and Travalon and I went for a boat ride back in the marsh. We saw some fall colors and some birds, including a black crowned night heron, a sandhill crane standing on the edge of Wank Island, and two large birds sitting in trees which we weren't able to positively identify. There were also a number of gulls flying over us, and one pooped in the water just to the side of us. That was a bit of a shock! As we were coming back to the dock, we saw one of the Betty Lou boats heading off to be taken out of the water for the winter. (Sorry, no photo of that.) Travalon took some photos. In this first one, you can see the llama socks Hardingfele gave me.


A couple of photos of Wank Island.



I took this photo on my phone.


Some fall foliage.






In this photo, you can kind of see the black crowned night heron.


I didn't have to be to work until one, so Hardingfele and I were going to go to the Just Bach concert at noon and then get pumpkin falafel from the Slow Food Cafe after that. Of course she flaked, but I joined Pete the Sailor Man and some other Slow Food people for lunch after the concert. Both the music and the pumpkin falafel were wonderful.

When I got to work, I found out my boss had decided that morning to have a meeting, even though she knew I was on vacation. It was not a serious meeting - they sat around talking and eating bagels - but that almost makes it worse, and she didn't ask me when I got into work if I wanted a bagel. Not sure what to think about that... Then my colleague and I got ice cream, since this was supposed to be the last warm day until who knows when. She got Blue Moon, and they put an impressive pile of blue ice cream on her cone. I took a photo of it, but it's on her phone, and she never sent it to me. She did take a picture of me with my less photogenic chocolate peanut butter ice cream.


The weirdness continued when we had a condo board meeting this evening, and we found out that one of the owners had written up unofficial "minutes" and sent them to everyone but us board members before we had a chance to finish the official minutes. The good news is that they were basically the same as the official minutes, so nothing mean about us in there. The bad news is... what the heck? Is there a second, secret board? I think it's people who want the power but not the actual responsibility. My life has been a lot of the opposite - the responsibility without any of the power. Which is a lot of fun when it's up to me to get something done but I have no power to make it happen. This was much worse at a previous job, the one I had when I started this blog (and complained about it a lot), where they used to snipe at me for wearing bright colors and having plants in my office and other non-offenses that they liked to make issues but couldn't actually write me up for. Boy, I don't miss those days!


Famous Hat


No comments: