Thursday, October 14, 2021

People I Don't Want to Meet

 

Today was a day of pleasant surprises. My boss let me work from home as usual for a Thursday, even though I volunteered to go into the office to make up for being at home on Tuesday and Wednesday. So Travalon and I were able to take a walk before work, and we went out onto the pier because it was power-washed yesterday, and we were admiring how clean it is now. Then we saw a pair of egrets! So maybe the one we saw this spring for one day has been around all along. Maybe these two were the two we saw in Six Mile Creek, and they hang out around here too. Maybe they had baby egrets!

Rich came by around lunchtime to take the tropical plants from our dock back to his house with the floor-to-ceiling southern exposure windows and the skylight, and we took a walk in the neighborhood after debating how he can take the mandevilla arch home too. (He has a little trailer.) I heard the train horn in the distance, so we rushed over to the Nau-Ti-Gal parking lot, and he seemed to enjoy watching the train pass by as much as I did - in fact, he noticed a detail that had escaped me, that the bridge over the river is slightly higher than the tracks on either side of it, so it's fun to watch the wheels go up a little bit and then down a little bit.

Tonight I had a meeting that was scheduled to last two hours, but it got done ten minutes into that second hour. Yay! I did manage to miss two work meetings this week, one of which I always have to take minutes at, because of my lady issues. Sometimes pain and suffering comes in handy... So I spent some of my extra time listening to Bach's Orchestral Suite in B Minor. There's something about Bach and Vivaldi, where I feel like their music is speaking directly to me - there's even a figure in Vivaldi's Concerto for Four Violins in A Minor where it actually sounds like one violin is calling my name. The recording of Bach I was listening to was wonderful, done by the Netherlands Bach Society, but to my surprise a handful of people downvoted the video. What?? Do they just not like Bach and go around looking for Bach videos to downvote? Because it was really well done. I don't think I'd like to meet those people. Another group of people I wouldn't like to meet: my FitBit gives badges for going 5000 or 10,000 or 20,000 steps in a day, and they added some Minion badges for days you go 12,345 steps or 22,222 steps (which I got last Saturday), but apparently some people want to opt out of the Minion badges. What?? Why would you not want an extra badge? And they're so fun! Who doesn't love Minions, those adorable yellow peanut-shaped things from Despicable Me? People I never want to meet, that's who! I'm trying to be open-minded, but people who downvote Bach and refuse Minion badges just sound like they're no fun at all.


Famous Hat


No comments: