Sunday, October 31, 2021

Halloween 2021

 

Sorry for the silence yesterday. Travalon went to the Badger game, and they beat Iowa 27-7. I feel bad when the Badgers beat up on a non-conference cupcake team, but a conference foe that's nationally ranked? Then I love it! Meanwhile, Tiffy, Kathbert, Rich, and I went to the Arboretum, and I took lots of photos of the beautiful trees, which I will post tomorrow. Kathbert had several good quotes: when we saw a maple with leaves that looked slightly like marijuana, she called it a "maple-juana," and when we were looking at osage oranges on the ground, which looked like green brains, and I said Funk Factory used them to make a sour beer, she called it "brainy brew." Osage oranges are sometimes called "monkey brains," and you can see why in this photo.


In the evening Tiffy and I had dinner at Bellitalia, then we went to a concert of German Baroque composers. As my regular readers know, I will drop almost everything to hear music that isn't in equal temperament. The two Bach concerti were ones I learned to play years ago, the Brandenburg Concerto #3 and the Concerto for Two Violins in D Minor. It was so wonderful to hear them live!

Today Tiffy joined us for brunch, then she, Travalon, and I hung out at the Memorial Union. After she headed home, Travalon and I went to the Hop Garden in Paoli to hear the blues band we heard at Beef Butter BBQ a few weeks ago. We also got good chocolates and lemon cookies. Here I am in my "costume," the horns I got from being the Mayor of Hell, Michigan for my 40th birthday. (I couldn't find my light-up unicorn horn anywhere.)


Then we went to Rich's house for Barbarian Spaghetti, which was my secret mission for this month. Kathbert and Jilly Moose joined us too. The secret club had sent a plastic tablecloth, so we ate the spaghetti right off of that with our hands, except for Kathbert, who ate hers off a plate but didn't use her hands. Rich took some photos of that which he hasn't sent to me yet. He did send me this photo of Travalon and me re-enacting the scene from Lady and the Tramp:


Travalon even played the song from that scene to get us all in the mood to slurp spaghetti. Rich didn't have time to think of an equation to put on his pumpkin this year, so he carved a traditional jack-o-lantern. It was kind of cute!


There were supposed to be spectacular northern lights tonight, so Travalon and I went to a little park off Bong Road near our house, since that should have been very dark. To our surprise, another car followed us into the parking lot. We figured they were going to look for northern lights too, but they seemed to be a bunch of teenagers who were there to smoke weed, probably attracted both by the remoteness of the park and the name of the road. We didn't see any trace of northern lights, but I looked through the binoculars at the Pleiades, and that was very cool. So that was our spooky experience for Halloween.


Famous Hat


No comments: