Friday, June 10, 2022

Happy 100th Birthday, Judy Garland!

 

This morning there was a little excitement at our place because we got a "new" love seat:



It is only new to us; our neighbors across the hall gave it to us because they got a new futon. Which is maybe kind of ironic, because then we used this to replace the futon we had been using for a couch. 

Travalon reminded me that today Judy Garland would have been one hundred years old, so I mentioned it on the chat at work. A coworker said we should drink Judy Garlands tonight, and when I asked what that was, she said like a Shirley Temple but with vodka in it. I remembered Shirley Temples fondly from when I was a kid and we would go to fancy restaurants with my grandparents. I felt so adult having my own drink, and of course to a kid they were delicious. So tonight Travalon and I went to Mariner's, and when the waitress asked if it was a special occasion, we said, "It's Judy Garland's 100th birthday!" We asked for Judy Garlands to drink, but the waitresses didn't know what those were, so we explained and did get something that tasted very much like a Shirley Temple with a kick. Delicious! 

We were enjoying our seafood when there was a commotion at the next table over, where two older couples were dining. One man had apparently fainted and thrown up on himself, then he came to and had no memory of it happening. He insisted he was fine, but his wife panicked and called 911. The hostess came over, rubbed his back, and asked if there was anything she could do for him, and he said sure, she could come over to his house and do that, so I figured he wasn't dying. When they brought the bill, he joked, "The food is on me tonight!" since he was covered in vomit. Two extremely hot young EMTs arrived with a stretcher, but the man kept saying he was fine, and they let him walk out to the ambulance. Meanwhile, Travalon and I were trying to mind our own business, gazing out at the water and trying not to seem too curious about what was going on. To our surprise, the waitress brought us a slice of key lime pie on the house because we had to witness all that. So it was a rather eventful 100th birthday dinner in honor of Judy.


Famous Hat 


No comments: