Saturday, June 25, 2022

My Password Is the Last Eight Digits of Pi

 

The title of this blogpost is from a T-shirt I caught a glimpse of today on State Street, and the person moved too fast for me to be sure, but I think that's what it said. If so, it is brilliant.

Yesterday I was at work when Roe vs. Wade was overturned, and now I see one of the justices also wants to overturn the right to contraception. It has really disturbed me how many people I know of who have daughters getting their bodies surgically altered at a young age so they are no longer female, but honestly now I think they may be onto something. I have always wanted to have children myself and thought they would regret it when they were older and couldn't have them, but I would rather have no children than be forced to have children I didn't want. They looked at the way the Christian Taliban is taking over this country, and they said, "Nope!" and I totally get it. It does seem like in the not-too-distant future women might be forced to have as many children as they possibly can, and who knows what else they are going to do to us? Now I am personally very disgusted by abortion, but I am even more disgusted by the idea that men might soon be able to force women to bear their children, and I can understand why young teenagers are staring down the barrel of this possible future and deciding to cut off childbearing as a possibility.

Then I met Tiffy downtown, and it was really hot so we decided to go to the public library. There is a room called the Bubbler where you can make art, but she wasn't interested in arts and crafts. We ended up getting a Choose Your Own Adventure book and reading it in a little private room in the children's area, and that was crazy entertaining. The subject was trying to find people who had disappeared in the Amazon, and we got eaten by piranhas, stabbed by a deranged pilot, and achieved enlightenment, among other possible endings, some so lame that they were like, "And the next day you will set off with the search party. The End." 

Travalon met us when he got off of work, and we had dinner at a Chinese restaurant on State Street, then he kindly drove us out to the outdoor theater so we could watch Hamlet for at least the third time, while he went fishing and to a bar called the Bat Cave in Gotham, which is a tiny town actually pronounced "Goh-tham," not "Gah-tham." He took some photos, but Boethius my computer is having one of those days and refuses to post them to the blog, so maybe look for them tomorrow if he's in a better mood. Travalon also discovered a cool bar in Spring Green where they play jazz records.

This morning it was very rainy, and we slept quite late, then we met Tiffy downtown for coffee. I was concerned about violence downtown if there were protests, not from the leftist protesters but from people who don't agree with them and have been emboldened to use violence against them by recent court decisions, and this isn't an idle fear - a man in Iowa ran over some pro-abortion protesters with a pickup truck today. However, Tiffy said nothing was going on downtown, so we hung out down there: going to the Farmer's Market, shopping on State Street, and eating lunch at the place we usually go to for Sunday brunch. It was drizzly all day long, and a thunderstorm was predicted right around the time we were supposed to go on our Betty Lou Cruise this evening, but at some point the weather forecast changed to just overcast. The cruise did happen, and everyone else beat us and a couple from Clinton, Iowa on board, but shockingly nobody else wanted to sit on the bow, so the five of us got to sit out there. I have been on so many Lake Mendota cruises that I just naturally started giving a tour talk to the Iowans, which they seemed to enjoy. The sun started to come out at what I call the "golden hour," not long before sunset, but Tiffy pointed out that today it was more of a "peach hour" because of the cloud cover. It may not have been a bright, sunny day, but it was a fine evening for a cruise, and we saw a kingfisher hovering over the water, something we think was a loon, and a blue heron flying overhead, as well as ducks and geese with babies. The Union Terrace was packed despite the cooler weather. Travalon took some photos, and if Boethius is more cooperative tomorrow, look for them here.


Famous Hat


No comments: