Sunday, June 19, 2022

Stuffed Mushroom (Cuddly, Not Delicious)

 

Sorry for the silence the last few days. Friday I worked from home for the morning, then I took the bus downtown to meet Tiffy, and we had lunch at the Globe, sitting outside in the shade. We walked down to the Union Terrace and got a table, and then we got a pitcher of beer and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon and evening. Travalon joined us, then Jilly Moose did, and we sat there until the sun was going down. The Mallards were having fireworks that night after their game, and we debated about trying to watch them from the Terrace or drive up to Bierock and watch them there, but Tiffy suggested the roof of her sister's building, so we went up there. We could see the fireworks from there, but they looked very far away. It was a beautiful night, and I took some photos from the roof of her building. Here are the two best.



On the Terrace there was an "Art Cart" with free arts and crafts things, like coloring book pages and pins and beads for making friendship pins. I thought some of the beads looked like they might glow under blacklight, so I checked at home, and they do!


Yesterday I went downtown and met Tiffy and Jilly Moose for coffee in the back garden at Fair Trade, then we went around the Farmer's Market on the Square because Tiffy had seen some cool succulents up there earlier in the morning. By then they were picked over, but I did find this colorful pillow that makes me think of a sunset.


I thought it might glow under blacklight, but only this band of pink does. This almost makes it look even more like a sunset!


We went to the New Age shop across from our church, and as we headed there I told them I'd dreamed of a shop that looked like that, but when I went in, the woman behind the counter asked my sign and then said, "Capricorn? That's the worst one! Get out of my shop!!" But of course when this shop opened, even though it looked just like my dream, the woman didn't say anything like that at all. Tiffy was saying I was the rarest sign, and I said, "I'm a rare bird!" just as we entered the shop, so the woman behind the counter said, "Welcome, rare bird!" I told her the whole story, and she said, "Oh, I would never say anything like that!" Tiffy said, "I'm just a commoner - I'm the most common sign," and the woman said, "Me too! Are you a Virgo?" She mused about why there are so many of them, and the other woman behind the counter (who never revealed her sign) said because it's nine months after Christmas. There were two other shoppers in there too, and they said they just had a palm reading and tarot reading done, and it was amazing. I don't really like that stuff, but I am a sucker for crystals because they are so beautiful. I bought these two - can't remember what kinds they are.


OK Cap had said she was just putting on her shoes and was on her way, but it seemed like she was taking much longer to get downtown than we expected, so the other woman behind the counter and I started joking about what incredibly elaborate shoes she must have, were they those Victorian boots with like six thousand buttons up the side? We went to Dubai for lunch (sitting outside, of course), and OK Cap joined us. We sat on the roof of Tiffy's sister's building talking for a bit, then we took OK Cap to the New Age shop, and the one woman behind the counter said, "Her shoes don't look too elaborate," so then I had to explain the joke to OK Cap, who said she had gotten a phone call that delayed her. We all went to get bubble tea, and as we sat outside drinking it, the Virgo woman from the New Age shop came by to get some. She must have thought we were crazy - we weren't moving too far that day! Actually, I did walk six miles, but it was just a lot of back and forth in a small area. Then we all went to Little Luxuries, and I got this adorable stuffed mushroom that doesn't have a name yet.


Jilly Moose got some more Mad Libs books, so after we left the shop (and OK Cap had to take off), we three ladies went back to the roof of Tiffy's sister's building and did Mad Libs. Even more entertaining, we started sending each other texts where we wrote a word or the start of a phrase, and we just kept choosing the next word our phone suggested. That really had us laughing! By then Travalon had returned from a graduation party for his high school friend's daughter, so the four of us tried the pulled noodle restaurant on State Street, and then we went to the Broadway show Ain't Too Proud, about the Temptations. That was fantastic! Tiffy's sister had given her four tickets, and then when we got there, we found out they were in a box! Boy, did we feel swanky! And the music in the show was so good.

Today is the anniversary of the death of Travalon's dad, so he went to visit his mother and brothers. Rich also wasn't at Mass, because he had a high fever yesterday and found out he has COVID. Tiffy joined me and the rest of the usuals at brunch, then she and I took a walk on Governor's Island, and then we joined Kathbert for a long hike in the Arboretum. And of course we had band practice outside tonight, so that is three days of being outside almost all day long, and I am a bit sunburned, even though I tried to stay in the shade. But oh, does it boost your mood to get all that fresh air! I love sunshine, even if it doesn't love me.


Famous Hat


No comments: