Thursday, June 30, 2022

They'll Love Me in Munich!

 

This morning I was jolted awake by Travalon hollering, "It's 8:15!!" The thing is, I was sure I had set our alarm for 7, but it never went off, and when I looked, it didn't appear to be set. Even so, I don't usually sleep that late. I was supposed to be at work at 8:30, and he was supposed to be at work by 9:00, so we rushed out the door without breakfast or coffee. We have coffee at work, so I had a cup, but my mug there is smaller than my mug at home, so I went to have seconds. There was no more left, and I didn't want to brew a whole pot for just one cup... and then my coworkers were joking that I needed more coffee, since my brain never seemed to wake up today. I ate my lunch for breakfast, so then I went to the cafe in Hardingfele's building, and we went out a door marked "Not an Exit" to eat out in a shady, overgrown courtyard. Hardingfele thought we might be locked out, but she was unconcerned: "I can call the building manager, and he'll let us back in." However, the door was unlocked, so there was no problem, except for a labeling one, since it clearly WAS an exit.

I did have a Teams meeting with a woman in Germany, and the business part of it only took a little bit, but she was super friendly so we started talking about, you know, whatever. I really had her laughing about how everyone is lazy, even my plants that used to stand up straight until they were pushed against the wall at Rich's house, and now they need something to lean on. Sometimes I think maybe I missed my calling to be a standup comedienne, since it must be my delivery. A phlebotomist once told me I was her funniest blood draw of the day, and when I participated in an improv class, I had my partner rolling on the floor. But doesn't everyone secretly think they are funny? My brother once said he wanted to be a standup comedian, and I laughed because that was the only funny thing he'd ever said. He was always notoriously bad at telling jokes; he'd get to the punchline and everyone would stare blankly, and then he'd be all, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that she was a nun!" and then we would all laugh really hard, but at him, not with him. Still, maybe that's why he thought he was so funny. It could be a schtick - tell a joke so badly that it's funnier than the original joke. That might be a better routine than talking about lazy plants, but my routine worked on this German woman. Maybe I should do standup in Germany...


Famous Hat


No comments: