Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Make Music Madison 2022

 

Today we had our annual gig for Make Music Madison, and I took off early from work and picked up Hardingfele on campus. Just like last year, we played in the driveway of our bandmate's house, where we always practice, and she had music going all day. Her two teenage grandchildren were there, looking kind of bored. We got there in time to hear a brother and sister duo play duets on the piano; they were eleven and ten but looked even younger. Or maybe that's because everyone looks young to me now at my advanced age. They were pretty good! 

We had a decent crowd for our hour, including Jilly Moose. Some people had parasols because it was such a hot day - it was pushing 100 F - but we were kind of in the sun ourselves. I said, "I forgot sunscreen," and our guitarist said, "It's four. You don't need it at this hour," but later Hardingfele told me that I had some sunburn. I'm so pale, I can get a moon burn! It was so hot that my hands were really sweaty, and I was in dire fear of dropping my mandolin. I didn't, and none of the instruments exploded like what happened to our now retired fiddler six years ago, so in that way it was a successful gig. Jilly Moose tells me we sounded really good, but I think we were all too hot and stressed to notice. We got some tips, so afterwards our hostess was counting them frantically because she thought I had said I needed mine right away, but in fact I had only said I needed to leave right away - I am no hurry to get my buck two-eighty in tips. As we headed downtown, me to my adoration hour and Hardingfele to catch her bus, she said to me that the hostess might have some heatstroke from being outside all day for Make Music Madison. (She played in several of the groups throughout the day.) I said in that case I should have insisted on getting my share of the tips, if only to keep her in the air conditioning longer, but Hardingfele was of the opinion that her teenage grandkids could keep an eye on her. Anyway, she seemed to be having a lot of trouble counting, so I might have missed adoration for a buck two-eighty in tips. So not worth it.

Unfortunately I do not have photos yet. Will I ever? I don't remember anyone taking any...


Famous Hat


No comments: