Monday, July 25, 2022

Happy 25th Birthday, Monona Terrace!

 

Yesterday after Mass, when we went to our usual brunch destination, it was closed with no explanation, so we went up the street to a much pricier place. Travalon and I had lattes with limoncello in them, which were sort of weird. Then he and I went back to Pheasant Branch to hike on a trail with lagoons and little foot bridges.




Then we went to Leopold's to cool off. Travalon showed me the secret downstairs room.


We ordered iced pandan lattes, and before the barista added the espresso, they were a beautiful sea foam green.


Here's the finished product! It was delicious and very refreshing!


I didn't know what a "pandan" was, so I googled it, and it's a pandanus, which is a kind of plant that Ma Hat used to have. She inherited it from her Nana. I think she got rid of it long ago, but who knew she could have just eaten it?

Then we went to the 25th Birthday Party for the Monona Terrace. As my longtime readers may remember, I gave Travalon a commemorative brick on the top of the Terrace for our anniversary one year, so now I'm officially a donor and get invited to these things. Although I think it was actually open to everyone... and it was free. It was a perfect party: the evening was beautiful, sitting up there above the lake, as we listened to a salsa band and a soul band and ate free cake and ice cream. We got dinner from a Jamaican food cart. So good! And then at the end of the night - a drone show! It's like fireworks without the loud booms. Sorry that neither of us got a photo of the first design they did, which was the State Capitol Building. Here's Bucky Badger, courtesy of Travalon.


Smiling cheese!


Pink flamingos are the city bird of Madison.


Sailboats fit with the setting.


Here's our state!


And the Monona Terrace with a 25 on it kind of looks like a birthday cake.


Then we saw this nearby municipal building all lit up - for the party?


Today was a much weirder day. All these strange little coincidences happened, like that my bus was Bus 8 (but the 28 route) just like that little horse-drawn streetcar we saw at the Illinois Railway Museum, and then when I told Travalon that I had "Sloop John B" stuck in my head, he said he did too! We went out to play some tennis (but today my FitBit thought we just walked instead of sporting), and from that vantage point Travalon could see our nuttiest neighbor put something into our recycle bin, which was out because early tomorrow morning the city will empty it. After we finished playing, we went to investigate, and she had put dozens of empty beer cans into our bin!! Worse, a lot of it was cheap beer! Some people suggested I tell her that if she's going to put all her empties into our bin, she should at least invite us to the party, but our condo board president said don't say anything to her, he's going to handle it. It isn't exactly against the bylaws, but she's like that: the board told her that she has to keep her dog on a leash, so she puts a leash on him but doesn't hold the other end. I mean, it doesn't say in the bylaws that you have to hold onto your dog's leash, just that he has to be on one. So she's that kind of person.


Famous Hat


No comments: