Monday, July 11, 2022

The Slow Poke Lounge and Cabaret

 

Travalon fell down on the job a tiny bit last night, because as usual I had him look over my blog post for spelling errors, factual errors, tedium, etc., and he said it looked good. Then after I had shut everything down, he said, "You forgot to mention going to the Slow Poke." He's right, I did. After the cookout on Saturday night, we stopped in downtown Spring Green to see the Slow Poke Lounge and Cabaret, which he had visited while Tiffy and I were at the outdoor theater. It was every bit as cool as he'd said. The bartender was a hipster who is apparently an actor at the outdoor theater, and a regular at the bar told us he is originally from Brooklyn. Lots of hip young people were in the bar, which has a stage in the back for live shows but looks like a living room in the front. The record player was playing jazz, but then the record ended, and a sign said feel free to put on whatever record you like. I was looking through the jazz selections, not sure what to choose because jazz can be so hit or miss and I didn't recognize any of the artists. Then Travalon spotted Graceland by Paul Simon, so we put that on. Back in the day, that was how we listened to it! We talked to a regular, an older guy who told us about his mother being a teenager during Prohibition and dumping all the homemade hooch in the house down the drain when she heard the inspectors were coming. I love stories like that!

Here are some photos from the last few days. First, some of the tie-dye at the Grateful Dead Night Mallards game.


I love how the water rushing down the dam at Tivoli Island is olive green.


We went to an old-fashioned malt shop in Watertown, and I noted that two drops had fallen from my malt and made a perfect set of eyes. Travalon drew a bunny using his straw. "Hare today, gone tomorrow" because then we quickly wiped up Mr. Rabbit before the waitress saw us being so silly... and messy.


These are a couple shots of the tamarack swamp across the bridge from Rock Lake.



Yesterday evening I needed a few more steps, so I was out walking in our neighborhood when the sun suddenly peeked out from under the clouds just as it was setting.

We will have to try to catch a live show at the Slow Poke Lounge and Cabaret. That place is very cool for Spring Green. It's almost too cool for Madison, even. We'll definitely go back!


Famous Hat


No comments: