Thursday, July 28, 2022

Perfect Evening on the Water

 

Last week when I had steam coming out of my ears from dealing with the shipping company, I went for a walk to cool down and heard a train coming, so I was able to get into position to watch it pass by. That really helped my mood. Today at lunch I took a long walk along the road, hoping to see the train from a closer vantage point than my usual spot, watching it across the river, but no train came by. Then I was thinking during my afternoon break that I usually don't take my whole fifteen minutes to pray a Divine Mercy chaplet, so it would be great if right when I finished it, a train came by so I got to spend more time outside, and wouldn't you know that just as I finished it, I heard a train coming? Sometimes I feel like I'm a little frog living in a terrarium someone set up just for me, only instead of water and a rock to sit on and a warming light, I have a tennis court and a boat slip and a spot where I can watch trains pass by. I even get to watch hummingbirds, but the other day there was a little drama there, when one was chasing another one away from the feeder. Why? There's plenty of nectar in there, and there are four openings for them to drink from. No need to chase each other away! In Irish they are called buzz birds, which is a great name for them. The sound their wings make is more of a buzz than a hum.

This evening my neighbor invited me over for Thirsty Thursday, and we had a margarita and snacks, then after Travalon came home, he and I took a boat ride way back into the marsh. Sometimes by this late in the season the marsh is choked off by lotuses, but this year there is a lot of open water, so we were able to go way back and could have gone even further if it weren't so late. The lotuses have lots of buds, and a few are starting to bloom. The ones closer to our dock actually look better, so we can probably just harvest seeds from them. We also saw a great blue heron who did not look the least bit interested in us. The weather had been perfect all day, and it was a beautiful boat ride, heading into the sunset as we started back home. We may not get a chance to go sailing this summer, but at least we can get on the water in our "baidean."


Famous Hat


No comments: