Friday, July 1, 2022

Buzzed Tennis

 

Today I worked from home, then I went over to the garden plot, and after I had weeded for what felt like forever, the weird guy who has a plot next to mine appeared. This time he seemed less like he was eyeing up my plot and more like he understood that I work full time and can't get to the plot every day. It is a funny plot, because there are HUGE milkweed plants that I have left alone for the monarch butterflies, and more volunteer tomato plants than the ones I actually planted. Also, in a spot where I swear that I planted a spaghetti squash, there is something that looks like a broccoli plant. I had planted broccoli in a completely different part of the garden, and they needed to be thinned out, so why waste them? I ate a bunch of baby broccoli plants. They're pretty tasty. Baby radish plants are too, when I have thinned them out, but I only have a few radishes coming up this year. And then out in the walkway there is a kale plant that belongs to nobody, so I helped myself to a few leaves.

When I got home, I asked if there was any limeade left, and Travalon said no, but he said there was a hard seltzer, so I drank that. Then I was a bit buzzed. He suggested we play tennis for the first time this year, and I can't say if the state of buzziness made me better or worse at tennis, since I'm so atrocious at it when stone cold sober. It's okay, we both are, and we enjoy it anyway. When I said I had not played buzzed tennis before, Travalon said that had to be the title of my blog post tonight.

There was a can of sour beer called something like "Passion Berry Puff Pastry," and Travalon decided to drink that, so he gave me a small wine glass of it. Oh man, was that good! I had sweated out most of the hard seltzer while playing tennis, but after that I was buzzed again... and I had to lead Night Prayer. Richard Bonomo and Jilly Moose were among the people who joined me in praying. Since it's Friday, the psalm was a penitential one about God abandoning me to all these horrible things... and just then I heard coyotes outside yelping and crying as they attacked something. That was weirdly apropos but very creepy, especially in my buzzed state. The others said they couldn't hear the coyotes as I was leading the prayer, so that's good. One night they were howling like crazy, and Travalon kept saying, "What's that, honey? What did you say?" I didn't make the connection until saying something to him about the coyotes really howling that night, and he said, "Is that what that is? I thought you were calling me!" Good to know that I sound just like a coyote. Hopefully I don't look just like one...


Famous Hat


No comments: