Friday, July 15, 2022

Steel Drums and a Sunset

 

I completely forgot to mention last night that Travalon and I went out to play tennis, and he wondered why Mariner's didn't have any live music like they often do on Thursday evenings. After we had been playing a few minutes, we heard steel drums, and it was a lot of fun to play with them in the background. After we had been playing tennis for about twenty minutes, Travalon said that's enough, let's go to Mariner's, so we did. We sat listening to the steel drums while drinking ice cream drinks, and when I mentioned to the waiter that we had heard the steel drums while playing tennis, he and I were joking about how I had already worked off the calories. I checked my FitBit, which said we had done "sport" for 22 minutes and burned exactly 100 calories, so when I told the waiter that, he said, "No worries, our ice cream drinks are 98 calories each." Which I highly doubt, but I had eaten lightly the rest of the day and barely went over my calorie allowance.. and it was worth it anyway.

Today Travalon and I went to check out the Beer Garden at the old San Damiano site in Monona, which is now a city park. By the time we got there, the tours of the house were all booked, the food carts were mostly out of food, and there were only two port-a-potties, so there were very long lines. I thought the announcement had said a funk band was playing, but it was a cover band playing white people music that I couldn't stand. We had parked and crossed a very busy road, lugging lawn chairs, just for that. I give that event one star out of five. Maybe two because the location is so beautiful, but still. We didn't even bother getting beer, we just went to the seafood restaurant at the small strip mall nearby where the glass fusing place is, and that is always reliably delicious. Then we went to the East Side Club and sat outside watching the sunset. I had a prickly pear margarita, which sounded more interesting than it was. It didn't have a strong flavor, so it was like drinking salty tequila. Still, as Travalon said, we salvaged the evening. Here are some photos. Of course Blogspot loaded these in reverse order, so here is the Tiki Bar after darkness has started to fall.

This is a mama mallard with six adorable babies.

And here are photos of the sunset with a sailboat and the Madison skyline.







I guess there have been a lot of sunset photos lately on this blog, but I never get tired of sunsets. I remember reading a post online where some Flat Earther asked if the earth was really round, why isn't there a place where day meets night? The responder said there is, and it's magnificent. You can see it twice a day: sunrise and sunset. This time of year I'm not up early enough for sunrises, but I have seen plenty of stunning sunsets recently!


Famous Hat


No comments: