Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Old Person Ranting about Today's Music

 

I don't always say "Whoomp," but when I do, there it is! (If you get that joke, congratulations, you remember the 90's.) The song by Tag Team does have a monster bassline, which they apparently stole from an Italian disco song from the early 80's. I found the song ("I'm Ready" by Kano) and it's not nearly as catchy as "Whoomp, There It Is!" But there was a lawsuit and everything. Speaking of catchy tunes, my jam right now is "About D@mn Time" by Lizzo, which is the perfect song: it sounds like the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, and now. It's old skool, as they used to say. Do they still say this? Who knows? I had also downloaded "The Sweetest Pie" by Dua Lipa and "Freaky Deaky" by Doja Cat... and then I couldn't find them on my phone. I was about to panic until realizing that the former is actually by Megan Thee Stallion featuring Dua Lipa, while the latter is by Tyger featuring Doja Cat. As you may have guessed, "The Sweetest Pie" is a dirty song couched in a metaphor, which is my favorite kind of song. (See also "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE.) "Freaky Deaky" doesn't have time for metaphors. Honestly, Lizzo, Dua Lipa, and Doja Cat are about the only singers I like these days, because women actually have to be able to sing to have a recording career. All the guys on the radio sound like they use that auto-tuning. I'll admit that I kind of liked it back when T-Pain did it, but he made himself sound kind of space-agey or like a robot or something. The guys nowadays use a lower setting, so it's not as obvious, just low-key annoying. Seriously, if you can't sing, why are you a musician? Just rap or beatbox or something.


Famous Hat


No comments: