Thursday, October 26, 2023

More Color on Campus

 

Today I worked on campus and took more photos of the foliage between the rain showers. At Night Prayer, Jilly Moose suggested a title for this blog post, but now I can't remember what it was. I did show them all the bowed psaltery that my neighbor gave me the other day when I asked her what was in the little violin case. Just what I need - another instrument. I need that like another rosary. It's not in tune, and some of the strings are broken, but it seems like it will be easier to play than that sitar I have yet to master.

This first photo is looking out an office that faces west in my building.


More of that "Tiger Eye" sumac I encountered on a walk.




I don't love the colors just for the aesthetics; I am relieved to see them. I thought that, with the drought we've been having, the trees would not have made enough food to survive the winter. Because the colors in the leaves are from sugars, I figured this wouldn't be a colorful year. The fact that the colors are so vivid gives me hope that the late autumn rains have replenished the trees. Remember the little one that was dying in July? You can see it on the right side of this photo, and it has plenty of leaves.




This tree is already yellower than yesterday, so it must have drawn up some of the sugar in its leaves.



OK, I know there's a photo of this same crabapple tree earlier in this post, but it already looked different between ten in the morning and three in the afternoon. 



This is the view from that same west-facing office, but in the afternoon.


Here is the view from my own office window.


And if I look a little to the side, I can see the lake!


Ma Hat took this photo right in her neighborhood - they are having good colors over there too.


I am sitting on our porch right now, and earlier this evening I thought I heard a frog outside. This is totally the wrong season to hear a frog singing, so what did I hear? Or has the relatively warmer weather confused them, so they have come out and started singing?


Famous Hat


No comments: