Thursday, October 19, 2023

Rock and Roll Jam Session

 

Yesterday was such a great day. There was a concert of Bach (and Buxtehude) music at midday, and a train whistle was sounding while they were doing one piece, but it was in the same key as the piece (E minor?), so it fit right in. Then midafternoon I went to get a COVID booster, and on the way back, just as I was going to cross the train tracks, I heard another train whistle. I quickly crossed and found a low wall to sit on, and I watched the train go by. Perhaps I should have made a video, since the graffiti on the cars was so pretty, but the whistle was loud so I plugged my ears, and I waved at the engineer, who waved back.

In the evening I went to a jam at the East Side Club. I assumed it was a bluegrass jam, but when I got there, it was clearly plugged in. A man and a woman who were both very talented rock musicians led it, and other people joined them on bass, guitar, drums, and singing. I texted Travalon, "This is more your scene - classic rock," so he came too. Eventually they talked me into going onstage with the mandolin, which I figured nobody would hear over all those plugged-in instruments. We played "Lucky Man" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, "I've Just Seen a Face" by the Beatles, and "Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkel, and Travalon made videos. It was way more fun than I expected, and when I watched the videos later, you could hear the mandolin! And it sounded good!! I may make a YouTube video and post the link here. Apparently they are doing this jam every Wednesday; next Wednesday I am going to a ukulele strum (yes, those are starting back up again), but I may have to go to this again. Too bad I don't know more rock songs! I mean, I kind of know them, but not well enough to sing or play.

There is finally some color in Madison! I said to Anna Banana II, "Someone posted on social media that their favorite color is October," and she said, "That was me." Here is some October on campus:


And facing the other direction:





And here are photos Travalon took at Governor Nelson State Park:















All these photos are from today, so I'm going to say we've reached peak color. Travalon doesn't have to work until three tomorrow, at a special event, so I'm taking the day off of work, and we'll probably drive through Maple Bluff to check out the maples there. We may hike on the Ice Age Trail some more too. This is why they have the Mammoth Hike Challenge in October. Not only is the weather perfect for hiking, but that's when all the colors are on display. October may not be my favorite color, but it's right up there with May.


Famous Hat


No comments: