Sunday, October 1, 2023

Mass in a Gym... and I Loved It!!

 

This morning I felt pretty awful and thought about not going to Mass at all, but we did go to 10 am Mass at the new Cathedral. Except... the church is under construction, so Mass was in the gym next door. The priest was from Uganda, and the deacon is one who used to be at our parish, and they both have beautiful voices. There was a choir singing amazing music, and Travalon and I both loved this Mass. I found the juxtaposition of the gorgeous music and the ornately decorated but otherwise bland setting of the gym oddly delightful. Afterwards we went to a cafe across the street, and a pitbull in there was staring at me. Travalon noticed it too. However, when it walked by me, it didn't reach out toward me at all.

The East Side Club had some sort of membership thank you event, with free food and beer, so we sat by the lake and enjoyed the most delicious cheeseburgers we ever remembered having. It was a gorgeous day, but very hot, so we walked at Governor's Island and Jackson's Landing, since those are mostly shady trails. Jackson's Landing less so. After my Irish class (where we played Taboo in Irish, and it's hard enough in English!), I went for a rosary walk, and by then it was very shady.

Travalon went to the co-op and got a rotisserie chicken, but it was dry even though it was allegedly fresh, so we barely ate any. At band practice a woman showed up just to listen to us, and she brought us oranges. I guess she got sick of us after a while, because she left after distributing the oranges. We were struggling a bit on the rags, to be fair. She had wanted to hear us play, but we don't have any upcoming gigs, so our leader invited us to a practice, but practices are not really a performance. After Travalon came to pick me up, we got chicken sandwiches and cauliflower "wings" at Jiffy Lube, since we were hungry after not really eating our dinner, and we sat outside. It was such a lovely night. I suppose all the autumn-loving people hate this reprise of summer, but I am just loving it. It will be over soon enough.

Jilly Moose sent me two photos. The first is the tree she sees outside her window. It looks like a maple.

The second is a cactus she got in Arizona a few years back. It's very happy.

I wish I had such good luck with cacti. Over the years all of mine have died but the one that looks like a pickle that I got at the farmers' market about five years ago, and it was so happy and grew some arms, but it has lost all its arms and looks pretty miserable now. I also have something that looks like a cactus but I believe is a euphorbia that seems pretty happy. It keeps getting bigger. It's sort of bluish gray with what looks like white pieces of paper coming out of it. Oh yeah, I do have the zigzag cactus I got with my birthday discount back in January. That is getting bigger and seems happy, but so many plants seem to do that to me - they grow, they get bigger, they have new leaves.... and then one day they just die. It's like I don't have either a green thumb or a brown one, but one that changes from bright green to brown.


Famous Hat

 

No comments: