Sunday, December 17, 2023

Airport Christmas Gig 2023

 

Today Travalon and I went to Mass in the gym for Pink Candle Sunday, and there were a couple of cute little kids around us. We went to Olbrich to try to see the model trains, but the line was long and we didn't want to miss the Packer game, so we just went in the conservatory. Here are a couple of photos.



We went to the East Side Club to watch most of the very disappointing Packers game, and Grandpa Glitter was there in green. The Pack had no defense, and Tampa Bay scored every time they had the ball, it seemed. It was a quick game, so it was over before I had to leave for my gig at the airport. Travalon was the World's Best Husband and drove me there, and he and a friend of Hardingfele's (and her little dog) were our main audience, although a couple of people with a therapy dog and some random travelers also listened. We did Christmas music, not our usual repertoire, and I was annoyed that the person who requested more secular Christmas songs was then not at the gig. Travalon made some recordings, and I really liked the sound where I'm singing harmony on "Joy to the World" and "Silent Night." This was a volunteer gig, and we didn't even busk, but right at the end, when we were done really playing and were just messing around, someone handed us a $100 bill. What?? Our leader actually had enough change to give the rest of us our share, but Hardingfele and I agreed that this was a bit sketchy, so we wouldn't spend our $20 until our leader found out from the bank whether the $100 bill is legit.

Then Travalon and I went up to Waunakee to drive through the Rotary Lights and to see the house with the coordinated music. It was playing a song to the tune of "YMCA" about how "Now it's Christmas Day," or something like that. Another house like this played a Christmas version of "Bohemian Rhapsody." Who comes up with this stuff? We also went through Maple Bluff, but the lights seemed disappointing this year. It had been sort of a disappointing day, with the Packer loss and not getting to see the model trains, so Travalon watched cartoons to cheer up. When we went grocery shopping, I found this crazy finger puppet, and Travalon said, "Let's get it to cheer us up!"


So now I have added to my narwhal collection. Another disappointment for me: I heard a train in the distance, so I went out to see it, but of course it was getting further away. Right now as I write this, a train is passing by. Oh, and how could I forget? Travalon's big disappointment is that Wolverhampton lost 4-0 this morning. So his disappointing day started before Mass.


Famous Hat


No comments: