Sunday, September 13, 2009

Wasp Wars: The Battle of WD40

This weekend I drove to the East Coast of this state for the continuation of Tiffy's birthweek celebration. Friday night we had sushi, and for her Birthday Dinner Part II on Saturday night we went to a steak place, and my filet mignon was so rare it was practically still chewing its cud. That's more raw meat than I've eaten in eons! (Then again, I'm not generally much of a meat eater.) We made up for it at lunchtime on Saturday: Soul Food! Deep fried catfish, deep fried okra, deep fried sweet potato fries, and healthy collard greens... with tons of salt and fatback! Oh yeah! Tiffy had to go to Pittsburgh for an audit today ("Hey," she said, "at least it's not New Jersey!") so I drove home late last night. I could get the blazin' hip hop station from the closest big city, and DJ O was playing an old school mix that was hip hop heaven!

DJ O, I don't know you, but I have only one thing to say to you: Shorty wanna roll in yoe ride wid dat ice cream paint job.

Today Richard Bonomo, Kathbert, Antoshka and I went for a hike, and on the way back Kathbert told me a hip hop story: she was walking down the street when a young black guy drove by in a car going "boom." A white woman was standing on the other side of the street with her baby girl, and the little girl was bouncing up and down to the beat. The guy looked at Kathbert and said, "Dat baby be jivin'!"

Then Rich came to my house and unleashed some WD40 in the yellow jackets' nest while I sprayed them with bug poison. There was one casualty on our side (Rich got stung on the finger) and I saw four or five wasps drowned in the bleached sugar water, but the other wasps didn't seem any worse for wear. They flew around in a big, angry swarm, and we ran back inside and watched them from behind the safety of the screen door, but alas, they did not suddenly fall out of the air. Rich said it would take awhile for the poison to affect them, so right now I am at his house blogging. We'll see if this was the final, decisive battle or just the start of the war....

Good news for Arphaxad: both my faithful readers have weighed in and want to hear more of her story, so I will be letting her blog every Friday until either she gets sick of it, or you do.

Famous Hat

No comments: