Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Demure-Off


Last night Richard Bonomo had Kathbert, Luxuli, Prairie Man, and me over for some Easter leftovers, including the lamb cake we never got to on Sunday because of all the other desserts. Somehow the topic came up again of whether Luxuli is demure. She says on the East Coast she was considered demure, but compared to us Midwestern women, not so much. She and Kathbert were joking about who is more demure (neither Kathbert nor I would describe ourselves that way), and Prairie Man said, “Why don’t you have a demure-off?” I thought that would make an excellent blog topic.

Google defines demure as “reserved, modest, and shy,” and says it pertains only to women. Why can’t men be demure? I have certainly known men who were reserved, modest, and shy. But we can’t argue with Google, so this contest is only open to women. The rules are simple:

In the comments, write a paragraph describing the chocolate friend I received at my wedding shower. You must avoid using any technical terms or any slang ones. You must blush as you write. Whoever can write the most modest description from which someone can actually figure out what my chocolate friend looks like will win the contest. And what will she win? Not my chocolate friend – that has already been consumed in a most undemure way by Handy Woman and me. How about a lace handkerchief? Wouldn’t that be good and demure? Bonus points if you can describe the demure reaction you would have had if you had received my chocolate friend as a gift yourself. If, like Luxuli, you don’t have a Google identity to post comments, you can email your entry to me and I will post it for you. Good luck, my demure demoiselles! 

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

As I recall, the suggestion for a "demure-off" was preceded by my suggesting that Luxuli and Kathbert might settle matters by engaging in an arm-wrestling match..

Famous Hat said...

So far the winning (and only) entry is from Kathbert, who describes my chocolate friend thusly:

“A timeless sculpture, revered by ancient cultures as a fertility symbol.”