Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Party at Rich's without Him


Today someone was asking me how things are going, and I said, “Well, but I’m less interesting than I used to be.” This person doubted that, so I began to wonder: am I really less interesting than in the past, or am I just less interested in myself? The latter seems very possible, except that if you go back and read my old blog posts (as you can easily do), the ones from a few years back often seem very funny and creative, while my recent ones are all about how I worked out with Luxuli (or without her) and other mundane recountings of my life. Part of this is that I feel like people want to read about themselves, so I mention others more often instead of just ruminating on my deep thoughts, and part of it is that my “deep” thoughts don’t seem nearly as profound anymore. In that spirit, I will stop going on about this possibly deep subject and will blog about the accidental “party at Rich’s” last night.

Travalon and I are, as my readers are undoubtedly aware, in the process of looking for a new home, and we expected to hear from the realtor yesterday. After meeting with the reception hall person, and having Light Bright toss out some ideas for decorating, we went to Mount Horeb for dinner and then to Richard Bonomo’s house to check our email on Rich’s computer Aquinas. There was no message from the realtor, so we figured we would give her until nine to contact us. Rich was not there, since he was at a parish function. Suddenly my phone rang, and it was Luxuli, wondering what we were up to. She stopped by Rich’s house too, and we started looking at more homes for sale on Aquinas. Then the doorbell rang, and we wondered if it was Rich, being silly – “Let me into my house!” – but in fact it was Kathbert, returning some chant books she had borrowed for a funeral the day before. (She not only sings at weddings, like mine and Anna Banana II’s, but also funerals, if you were interested in booking her.) She was surprised at first, thinking Rich was having a party without her, but then we explained that he wasn’t even there, and none of this had been planned. So we all sat talking until long after nine, and still there was no sign of Rich, so Luxuli called him. He was still a good fifteen minutes away by bike, his preferred mode of transportation, but what we didn’t realize is that he was actually in the Bonomobile. We told him we couldn’t wait around (have to get up early to work out, don’t you know), and he said he passed us as we were turning out of his street, but we didn’t even notice since we expected him to be on his bicycle, and still some distance away. So that is how Rich missed the party at his own house last night.

Famous Hat

No comments: