Thursday, August 25, 2016

Blast from the Past


Last night a guy came to town whom I hadn’t seen in many years. I wouldn’t call him a friend, since at the time we did not like each other, but he was definitely more than an acquaintance. I did not really want to see him, but Rich said he thought I should join them for dinner, and it was great! It is amazing how much time changes people; this guy was not the blowhard I remember, but to be fair I have changed quite a bit too – for the better, I like to think! – and maybe he was pleasanter to me because I was pleasanter to him. Is “pleasanter” even a word? Spellcheck has no problem with it. Sometimes I get a little sad thinking about what a pain I was twenty years ago, and even though it wasn’t entirely my fault, I hate remembering how I acted. Maybe this guy feels the same way. Maybe we are just all jerks in our twenties and we all grow up and become wonderful people, although Tiffy was not a jerk in her twenties, and I didn’t know Rich when he was in his twenties but he was surely not a jerk either. Maybe some of us are just slow to grow up, but now that we are middle-aged we are finally not so bad to be around. Ah, maturity!

Famous Hat

No comments: