Monday, August 22, 2016

No Bahama Bob This Weekend

I hope my readers had a good weekend. I sure did. Friday Travalon and I gave Wiggie’s another chance, since he had discovered that they do indeed have food there, and he was even told they have fish fries. The bartender expressed some surprise that we were told that; she said they haven’t had them “in years,” but she did give us food menus, and we had fish sandwiches and French fries. Not the healthiest dinner, but very tasty. Then we decided to test the theory that a storm blows up every time we go to the East Side Club, so we headed to their Tiki Bar, but it was closed because a storm was blowing up (!). On the way home we passed a street festival with a live band on Atwood, but we decided not to check it out because of the impending storm. We ended up having a drink at the Nau-Ti-Gal instead.

Saturday morning Travalon and I met several people for coffee downtown, including some of the Rosary Ladies. (Jilly Moose was out of town visiting her brand-new nephew. Congratulations, Jilly Moose!) Afterwards we ladies prayed the rosary while Travalon went to the Veterans’ Museum on the Square. He told me they had an exhibit of World War I posters, so he and I went to check it out, and then we went to McGee's, the new chicken and catfish place by Rich’s house that used to be a Taco Bell. We called Rich to see if he was free to meet us for lunch, and he was, so the three of us had a delicious lunch there – best greens I’ve ever had! Travalon and I took Rodney to the big dog park in Token Creek, then we went with some friends to Mariner’s to see Bahama Bob play. However, his show had been canceled because they said the weather was too cold (it felt fine to us after having returned from Alaska), and we didn’t have a reservation, so we had to wait over an hour for dinner. Oh well, it was still fun.

Yesterday after Mass Cecil Markovitch asked if people wanted to go to Manna Café for brunch, so a group of us went there, and to my surprise they were able to seat us right away. Usually you have to wait for eons on Sunday mornings! Then Travalon and I tried fishing for trout at Salmo Pond, but we didn’t even get a nibble. We took Rodney on a walk around Indian Lake, then we went to the Customer Appreciation Party at Nau-Ti-Gal, which was free hamburgers and a band that played mostly 90’s grunge, which as my regular readers realize is not my favorite genre. Then we took a boat ride up and down the river, out into the marsh and Lake Mendota, and then some friends said they were in the neighborhood, so we all got ice cream drinks at Mariner’s. It was a lovely end to a relaxing weekend.

Famous Hat

No comments: