Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Late-Breaking Peas

 

I hadn't been going to my garden plot too often lately, since everything appeared to be dead, but I do still take stuff to the compost heap, and so I noticed something odd a couple of weeks ago: three little pea plants had sprouted. Why now? I planted them way back in May or June, and maybe it wasn't cool enough for them at the time, but I never would have guessed they would wait till October to sprout - I just assumed they were worthless seeds. I brought them some water, since the water is turned off at the gardens now, and otherwise they seemed fine because of the summery weather we had through Monday. I was going to dig them up and bring them into the house Monday evening, but I got a phone call, and of course there's only a half-hour of light tops by the time I get off of work, so forget it. Yesterday was pouring rain most of the day, but it did let up enough for me to go rescue the little pea plants before my adoration hour. Now they look sad and bedraggled, so they will probably die a slow death from being transplanted and not getting enough light. Maybe I should have let them freeze last night - it would have been quicker and maybe more humane.

Today was very cold, but very sunny. Travalon went to Governor's Island, and he said there are two little hut things that have appeared on it. He provided photographic proof, too.



I didn't take a picture of my pea plants. Maybe if they start to look a little happier, I will. I also have a daisy-like plant and a geranium with really pretty tri-colored leaves that are also quite bedraggled. They were in a planter by our driveway, and the condo president said we should take them out on one of our walks. My neighbor pulled out the seemingly dead ornamental sweet potato plant, and we were surprised to find a bunch of sweet potatoes in the roots. Travalon chopped them up and fried them, and they were delicious! They had a more delicate flavor than a regular sweet potato, and they weren't orange inside but looked more like a regular potato. I meant to get the other two plants once the summery weather was over, but apparently our condo president got impatient and tore them out on Monday, so they were sitting out with their roots bare for several hours before my neighbor and I found them. I put them in a pot, and we'll see if they make it. The geranium with the really cool leaves looks better than the daisy thing. Maybe I should just leave all these outdoor plants to freeze and meet their natural end, instead of prolonging their suffering inside where they don't get enough light. Of course, if they all recover, then I'll think it was worth the effort to save them!


Famous Hat


No comments: