Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Honorary Basque

 

Yesterday in Basque class the teacher was asking everyone where in the Basque country their families were from, and then he said to me, "You're the one who has no Basque family connection, right?" I said, "No, I'm mostly Irish," and then my fellow classmates were saying how they read there was some connection between the Basques and the Celts, so maybe I actually was related. Another one said it was just that the ancient seafaring Basques had made their way up to Ireland and intermarried a small bit, so that the Irish have just a bit of Basque in them. I said, "Yeah, I took one of those genetic tests (which is a lie right there, because I've taken three), and I'm like 2% Spanish." So then my classmates were all like, "I think they mean Basque instead of Spanish." Anyway, I was happy that they seemed so eager to make me one of them, because I was about ready to change my Zoom name tag to the name of the girl I stayed with in the Basque country all those years ago. It's a little intimidating sometimes seeing all those Basque last names, and then my Scottish/Austro-Hungarian name is so out of place. And neither of my last names is even Irish! Though to be fair, Scottish is genetically identical to Irish. The important thing is, we're all Catholic as far as I can tell, so at least we do have something in common.


Famous Hat


No comments: