Sunday, September 11, 2022

Anna Banana II's Farewell Party

 

This morning Richard Bonomo sent a text saying that the gate to our church's parking lot wasn't working, so we would have to park on the street or go all the way around to the other entrance. Travalon and I decided to park on the street, but we failed to take into account how far away we were, and that we had already been running a touch late, so by the time we walked through the rain to church, the priest was giving the homily. During Mass, I remembered how someone I knew years ago said with my floppy hat and offbeat ways I was like a side character in a book, and I felt slighted at the time, but this morning it occurred to me that of course I'm a side character - the main character is Jesus! I hope at the end of my life they say, "She was a really fun side character, always saying crazy things and making the place more lively. And she always wore a famous hat."

Rich said the Mass wouldn't count for me unless I got a dispensation, since we got there after the Gospel reading. After the Mass I approached the priest and told him our sad story, and he said, "Not your fault. You can have a dispensation." Then ten of us walked through the rain to the Edgewater for brunch, but they had no room for such a large group, so we walked through the rain partway around the Capitol Square to the Inn on the Park, where they happily accommodated us. It was a big birthday for Hockey Girl, so Travalon and I bought her brunch, but she didn't want a big deal made of it. I told her I was also not excited about that big birthday, but right after that my life became amazing, because I met Travalon and left my horrible job for a much more enjoyable one. 

It rained all day, but I had gotten quite a few steps during our brunch adventure. I really didn't want to watch the Packers game, since somehow I knew they would lose badly to the Vikings, so Travalon and I went antiquing. However, I was wearing a Packers hat and Packers jacket, so probably everyone wondered why I was so lame that I wore fan clothes but then wasn't watching the game. Alas, I was correct, and the Vikings beat the Packers badly. I have thoughts about putting all their money into an aging quarterback instead of investing in all sorts of positions, but anyway I am not expecting a great season this year. Then I needed just 250 more move hour steps right after five, so we went to our church, where everyone was upstairs at Mass, and I planned to sneak into the church hall and get my steps. (Since it was still raining out.) Some young guy followed me, but I thought maybe he was going into the adoration chapel. I passed it, and he passed it, so I asked him, "Can I help you??" He said, "Has Mass started yet?" and I said, "Mass is upstairs," so he turned around and headed upstairs. Sheesh, can't a girl get her move hours in peace?? Once I snuck out during the homily to get my move hours in the church hall, and then Rich came into the church hall too. He said, "What are you doing here during Mass?" and I said, "I could ask you the same thing!" and he said, "I have to get the pyx from the sacristy," so he had a legit reason for being there. I just had to get my move hours.

This evening Rich hosted a farewell party for Anna Banana II, who heads back to North Dakota tomorrow. There were twenty-two people there, and most of us brought vegetables or salads, so it was kind of healthy. Rich, of course, made his famous lasagna. The guy who usually brings two kinds of desserts made two kinds of bread instead, and oh man was it good! Jilly Moose brought garlic bread that went perfectly with the lasagna. Cecil Markovitch made his famous spinach salad, and of course I brought kale. There were other salads, and grape leaves, and jalapeño poppers, and olives, and I'm probably forgetting something. Anna Banana II made a fabulous pear pie, and her brother brought several types of ice cream. The pistachio one was outstanding. As Cecil Markovitch would say, "What a feast!" Only he said something different today. I meant to leave right after dessert, but then we got into a (for me) fascinating conversation about different Eastern Rite and Western Rite liturgies. Cecil went to a Ruthenian one with the Single B-Boy in a suburb of Chicago, and they said the congregation sang through the whole service. I would love that so much! Maybe it's time for another trip to Chicago... Goodbye, Anna Banana II. We'll miss you until your next visit!


Famous Hat


No comments: