Thursday, September 15, 2022

Halfway to St. Patrick's Day!

 

Sorry that I haven't blogged for the last few days, but not that much has been going on. Just work, and that's not too exciting. There was a beautiful sunrise the last two days, and Travalon got some good photos, but it's too late to post them now - too much work. So look for those sometime soon. Today I did get a short break from work to stand in the sunshine and watch the Ho-Chunk flag get raised in front of Bascom Hall. They sang and drummed, and several people made speeches, including the new Chancellor and the President of the Ho-Chunk. As I was leaving, someone called my name - it was a coworker from my job at the Press! She is still there, but working from home full-time. Of course I know it's been years, but it was still a shock to hear that her "little" daughter is a junior in high school. Whoa!

This evening I took the southbound bus, which is not nearly as packed as the northbound bus I usually take home, then I sat on Rich's porch, writing in Mariah my diary, until Travalon got off of work. We went to a Shamrock Club "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" celebration at the Great Dane in Fitchburg, which is not far from Rich's house. I still had a $25 gift card they had sent me after charging me the totally wrong amount for shipping when I ordered a stuffed Great Dane for Travalon, so between that and the fact that our first (and only) beers were paid for by the club, it was a very economical dinner! I really enjoyed the potato and beer cheese soup, though it doesn't seem like a traditional Irish dish. What I remember from our time over there is every meal (except maybe not breakfast) involved potatoes and salmon. We talked to the guy who writes the club newsletter, and I said I would try to write an article about the Irish language. The challenge will be for me (with my degree in Linguistics) to make it not so technical that nobody else wants to read it. It sure is an interesting language - it deserves an interesting article.


Famous Hat


No comments: