Saturday, September 24, 2022

Goodbye to My Garden Plot

 

Yesterday right after work, my neighbor and I went to my garden plot to say goodbye. I have had this plot for a number of years, but I am banned from gardening in 2023, and it's highly unlikely that I would get the same plot back after that. Besides, this morning they theoretically plowed everything under and covered it with black plastic to kill all the weeds, so nothing would have come back up in the spring. My neighbor happily collected all the feral cherry tomatoes, and she and I each took a share of the spaghetti squashes. My beautiful pumpkin was a bit gnawed, and when I picked it up, I discovered it was completely rotten, so forget that. We did find the little trees by the parking lot had ripe Asian pears on them, so we ate a number of those. That was as good a sendoff to my plot as I could imagine under the circumstances.

Today Travalon felt a bit under the weather, and I thought maybe it was just allergies, so I walked with our neighbor as he watched cartoons. He felt a little better, so we set out for the Cornish Fest in Mineral Point, but we stopped in Cross Plains for coffee and a short walk, and he didn't think he could drive much further. We did make it as far west as Black Earth so I could go to the Shoe Box and get new sneaks. They're teal, really pretty, but a much larger size than I have ever worn before - I guess my feet are expanding! We had lunch at the place that used to be Coach's, and I brought half of mine home, then we thought about going to the Monroe Street Festival, which had lots of good live music, but Travalon was so tired that we came home and both napped a bit (in my case) or all afternoon (in his case). We were supposed to meet my colleague and her husband for dinner, but I told them Travalon was sick, then I walked around our neighborhood by myself (since our neighbor was at the restaurant we had been planning to go to, coincidentally), and eventually Travalon joined me out on the dock. We started to watch the Badgers play Ohio State, but it quickly turned very ugly, so we watched several episodes of Keeping Up Appearances instead, while I ate my leftovers from lunch. And that was our exciting Saturday.


Famous Hat


No comments: