Thursday, September 8, 2022

Galena Take Two

 

This morning I drove Anna Banana II and Jilly Moose to Galena, insisting I could do it without GPS. I was fine until getting to Galena itself, where there's no sign pointing to where the historical part is (like there is in Mineral Point), but it turns out you just follow Highway 20 and it gets you right there. We managed to find a parking spot right downtown, and then we went shopping. We mostly went to different shops than I went to with Tiffy on Sunday, although we did go to the shop with some New Age stuff and lots of Hawaiian shirts, where I bought the "I'm not a Virgo" necklace, and the proprietress remembered me. Maybe with the hat and the tie-dye, I am a memorable person. Anna Banana II bought a jacket there much like one I bought there some time ago, and she promised not to wear it at the same time I wore mine, but honestly I thought it would be kind of funny if we were all twinsies. I mean, we don't look anything alike. 

We had lunch at a place with mediocre pizza, and then they didn't take credit cards so I was going to pay by check, but the waiter said if I did, I would have to pay the whole bill instead of just my share. Say what?? So I did, and the others gave me cash, but Anna Banana II was pretty annoyed by that so she didn't tip him that well. She and I had leftover pizza, so we went to the shop that just sells every kind of root beer and asked if they sold ice. They didn't, but they did sell coolers and then would give us ice, so I now have a commemorative root beer shop cooler. Other shops: two sock shops, several tea shops, some cookware shops, lots of jewelry shops, a pasta shop (I got Wisconsin Badger pasta, which is just W-shaped pasta in either neutral or red), candle shops, candy shops, coffee shops, and even a sports memorabilia shop that Travalon would like. 

We took a trolley tour of Galena, and Anna Banana II and I had trouble staying awake even though the tour was interesting. I think I need my own personal trolley for those nights I can't sleep. You know those nights: you go read in the living room, and after an hour you finally feel a bit sleepy. What if you could just ride a trolley and fall instantly asleep? They should have one that goes around town after hours for insomniacs to ride, and one of those night owl types could make good money driving it. After the tour we shopped some more, then we heard a brass band playing a free concert in a little park area. Here are some photos. Check it out - their phone number has an area code for our area!


The guy in the red shirt has a white clarinet. The others were saying it was albino.


And this sign kills me - parking since 1855? Who had cars back then?


Then we drove to Mineral Point and had dinner at the brewpub there, but it has changed ownership, and the menu is very limited. Anna Banana II ordered the garbanzo bean salad, which was described as having pesto, but she said it tasted like baked beans. I had a pork quesadilla that was fine but nothing exciting. The street corn soup was good. One thing that did make me very happy was that I was able to get a replacement glass for the one that broke some years ago with a cartoon of a dog on it, saying, "Sit. Stay. Drink. Good human." When I brought it home to Travalon, he was so happy! Maybe I should have gotten two. They are on the menu now, so we can always get more.


Famous Hat


No comments: